ss-1 orientation

kortum

I am getting ready to buy a pair of ss-1's for my rear surrounds. Becasue of the odd way the room was prewired (the prewires are on very small pillars at the back of the room), the only way they will fit is if they are hung vertically, rather than horizontally like they are shown in the product photos. The dealer told me that I would get really bad sound if I did that, and recommended that I opt for a pair of sb-1's instead for the surrounds. Does orientation of the ss-1 really make such a difference? Wouldn't the wdsd technology help me in this circumstance? Will the sb-1's sound as good for the rears if I need to go that route? Thanks for the help!

I'm going to get an sc-1 for the center andf use a pair of KG-4's for the fronts. Everything I've read here suggested that the KG-4's would be well matched to the sc-1 and ss-1. I'm assuming that they would also be matched to the sb-1's as well. Do you think I'd be happier putting a pair of SB-1's or SB-2's up front, rather than using my beloved KG-4's? I'm replacing my aged receiver as well, moving up from a Yamaha r-9 to either a Denon 1802, or sticking with what I know and getting a Yamaha 5560. Any thoughts?

From a fellow KG4 owner, I don't think you'd like the SB series better, IMHO. Those KG4s have a great sound to them for their size, and they make great HT speakers. I used a KV-3 center channel speaker -- it will be your best match with the KG4s. Look for a used KV-3 or KV-2, if you can stand to wait.

I also used SS-1s for my surrounds, and they worked fine. How small are the pillars? If there is enough to put some stout screws into, I would imagine you could mount the SS-1s in their normal orientation. Would they stick out too far from the sides of the pillars and just look funny?

Doug

------------------

My System