Oh No- My RF7 has a blown midbass!

Hello my friends of such sound minds.

Got a bummer of a problem.

I recently discovered that my front left RF7 has a bad midbass woofer.

I thought something was wrong for a couple of weeks now. Got an occasional strange noise from that speaker. Now I know why...

I really dig sample and test disks.

I just bought a disk that allows me to set the crossover in my subs to match my speakers.

All it does is drop a tone from mid to low bass in each speaker. That allows you to set the crossover in subs to overlap the bottom end of your speakers.

Well, my front left RF7 has a wicked rattle during the first few seconds of this test.

It's definately coming from the midbass.

That really sucks.

So now i'm deciding what to do.

Should I send it in myself or should I let my dealer send it in?

Also, I haven't registered the warranty because my dealer has a one year trade in-trade up deal You can get the same dollar value you paid for your speakers if you spend twice as much.

Oh Boy.

But, they won't do it if the warranty has been registered.(what a crock)

So what should I do?

Register and send it in

or let my dealer handle it?

I don't really like the idea of anyone working on my equipment other than me.

Help!

This message has been edited by Audioreality on 07-08-2002 at 10:35 AM

Guest BobG

Take the speaker to your dealer with a copy of your receipt. Klipsch will provide the replacement part at n/c. Then, stop and ask yourself what you might have done to kill the driver. While it's possible that the part was just defective, it is more likely you've managed to hurt it with the test and sample disks. They can be very challenging for amp/speaker combination. You don't want to repeat the problem.

Thanks Bob.

Will do.

Sure would like to know if the driver failure was my fault. Is there any way to tell?

I've run them pretty loud ( 100 to 130db slow C weighting) but never with any audible distortion. At least to me.

If it was my doing, do you think I could have compromised my other RF7's midbass?

Here's my deal,

I run a Denon DVD1000 through a Denon 3801 with decent toslink. I use bi-wired StraightWire Sextet for all three fronts.

My reference level is 75db at a volume of -18 showing on my display. Thats the point i've used to set all my speakers to that level at that volume. I run it usually at that volume.

When i turn it up to -10 and -05 then i get it up to loud levels(100db+).

Occasionally I'll crank it up to 0, but not very often and only on two channel.

It really sounds good. Just like a concert.

My 7's don't seem to strain at all,

neither does the Denon.

What do ya think?

Am I asking too much from my Denon?

Possibly pushing it a bit too hard?

I wouldn't mind some insight on this.

Either you guys at Klipsch are really nice or you pay about $5 for a woofer! I can't think of any company that would just send woofers out.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Ken,

Sorry but I seriously think Klipsch is a great company.The RF-7 mid-woofer does not cost $5.If you saw the unit and examined it you would know(I sure did).Its a very high quality woofer and it takes someting nasty to damage it.

I for one use RF-7's with very powerful amplification(ATI 2505)and never damaged any drivers.And I like to listen at hell bent levels sometimes.

To damage a RF-7 woofer you would have to have...

A. A defective unit from the start,defect exposed with stress.

B. A cheapo amp that goes into clipping often,pushed beyond its design capabilities.Then again the output would be ear shattering

C. Run test tones at extreme volumes(DUH),most often upper range drivers like tweeters are damaged.The listener does not know he/she cant hear above 18KHz and pushes the volume to the max in hopes if finally hear this 18KHz...POW the tweeter goes.Smart cwm3.gif

On a side line I saw a few "destroyed" Klipsch woofers (the 8" mid-bass from RB-5's),the reason speakers used in a bar and EQ applied to the point where the amp clipps and the woofer is overdriven for too long and the voice coil fries!Nice

TheEAR(s) Now theears

You say sorry, but I hope Klipsch is a good company!!!

Very true, even my little JBL 6.5" (or 16cm) woofers can take some real juice and not pop. Before I got my subwoofer, I wanted bass, but only had the 2, 6.5" woofers to do it. I would really get those things moving. Now bass management lets them rest easy...

Also, if I bought a speaker, broke it (or had a defective part) and the company replaced it with no quibble, I would be VERY happy and my brand loyalty would grow a lot.

GO KLIPSCH!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Very true Kenratboy.

My Klipsch loyalty is climbing.

The service and return dept. has been really great in helping me out.

One lady in particular (erica) has been a gem.

She was prompt in returning my e-mails.

Got my RA within 24hrs of my first message.

She said "box them up and send them in, we'll get a new pair out to you as soon as we receive your bad pair."

What can you say?

They were fast, friendly and helpful.

With helpful people like this, it just makes me feel good to be a Klipschaholic.