Music & Sub Woofers

Well, I just took 3/4 of the plunge, and bought the RF/RC 7's.

I was just wondering how likely it is that I will miss the subwoofer for music? Obviously, DVD Movies often have tracks containing LFE's, but am I right in thinking that there would be a lot less likelihood in music?

As you can see by my sig, my setup is a evolution/revolution in progress, limited only by $$$.

cwm7.gif

------------------

Amp: Integra 7.2

DVD: Toshiba SD4700

Fronts: RF-7

Centre: RC-7

Surrounds: old Advents!

Sub: None

TV: Dreaming of Plasma

Guest BobG

Depends on the room. I've heard RF-7's sound as if there was a RSW-15 sub running when there was not. I've also heard them sound lean and mean in some rooms. Being a happy RF-7 owner, I can tell you they do a very nice job to below 40 Hz in most rooms. Depending on your taste in music, your ancillary equipment and your love of slam, you may wish to add a sub. If so, bear in mind that the high sensitivity of the RF-7 (102 dB @ 1 watt 1 meter) makes them a challenge for many subs. You'll need one with very high maximum output level. Many high quality subs cannot keep pace with the RF-7's.

quote:

Originally posted by BobG:

Depends on the room. I've heard RF-7's sound as if there was a RSW-15 sub running when there was not.

Yes they do! At my non local Tweeter I was listening to them, thought the sub was playing during Jurassic park... nope. just the RF-7's, RC-7 and RS-7's. Bass was quite impressive, got even more impressive when I turned on the sub Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

for me a sub is a must for music to catch the undertones of the kick-drum, piano, etc. and the lowest string on a stringed bass will hit 16hz while a really big pipe organ can do 8hz.

may not be able to hear some of that real low hz stuff in a smaller room, but one should get a good sense/feel

of the sound pressure there imho.

for LFE in movies a good sub is a must. even if its not flat way down to 12hz or even 20hz, the puupose of lfe in movies is for impact.

LFE is a seperate channel (the .1) because by design its meant to carry (only .1 of a full bandwidth) bass w/ 10db gain to a seperate, capable sub so as to not overload the other channels/amp/speakers. this also benefits the amp/speakers for music even w/o the 10db gains in low bass.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Where is TheEAR! He would be throwing a hissy fit about now.

I couldn't imagine not having a sub for music. I think it is OK to have the sub turned down a lot (-6 - -3 dB.) so it does not overwhelm, but will fill up the bottom end with some athority. The other 99% of the time, I have the sub at (or aboveSmile.gif) the proper setting so the bass hits me. I have 2, 15" woofers in a SMALL room, so I can ROCK. It is amazing what bass can do to a home (what CAN'T vibrate? NOTHING!!!)

Anyway, I would imagine that 4, 10" woofers would rock for most anything.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

listened to some 2-ch sacd stuff;the rsw-15 is dormant for this material, as well as switching to 'speakers-large,sub-no'...klf-30's w/4-12's kick a$$-but i'm glad i've got my rsw-15, takes me down that extra bit lower, AND has the output to hang w/my other speakers when i'm burning up the output transistors! avman.

must...have...subwoofage!!!

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Thanks to everyone for the wisdom and experience.

I realized that pipe orgrans get really down there, but didn't realize that even strings in the bass end hit that low.

Guess I missed that on my Sony Walkman. cwm36.gif

------------------

HornBlower-really good receiver-the 7.2 integra; unless you HAVE to hang your tv on a wall, DON'T GET A PLASMA! spend less-get more with a dlp projector/screen;lcd rptv(sony grand wega)or direct-view tube.jmo-avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Thanks AVMAN.

I've used DLP's before and generally like them. The only thing is that the bulb costs are outrageous, and if this is your only video display capability, the lifetime means less than a years use per bulb- assuming no use until 6-11pm weekdays/weekends. Anymore often than that, and the bulbs won't last 9 months.

That's painful! About a new DLP every 2.5 yearscwm23.gif

------------------