how much bass do the RF-5's have?

Hello, this is my first time posting on the Klipsch fourms, but i have used audio review, and i have a website dedicated to audio fourms

ok, my question is, i currenty have JBL ND310's and plan to upgrade in 1-2 years, i was looking at the RF-3's, but i want to get a bigger step up from my JBL's (RF-3's are 1 step up, the RF-5's seem alot better) and i was wondering, my JBL's are 3-way with dual 10" woofers, now the RF-5's are 2-way with dual 8" woofers, but they also have to work the midrage, so will i get the deep and tight bass from them like my JBL's, or if i try to get good bass, will it over power the midrange and make it muddy?

my current system:

Sony TA-2650 <---vintage integraded amp (1978)45wpc, very clean power, and consertivative (don't plan on upgrading, unless i find a really good deal on something else vintage, mostly a Pioneer SX-1250)but it powers my JBL's to nice levels and they are 91db sensitivty, and if i get these Klipsch, and they are 98db, then it will be even louder, so i don't plan to upgrade the amp

Sony ST-3950 <--- vintage tuner (1977) really nice, never plan to upgrade it

Nakamichi CD Player2 Limited <--- its a Nak cdp, very nice, and will never be upgraded (well, only when SACD really is big)

and i use a RCA 10 band eq. with spectrum analizer, people don't like these, but it makes my system sound alot better, so i will keep using it

i also have a pair of vintage KLH model seventeen's (one of the pairs Henry Kloss designed) and use them as secondary speakers (never getting rid of) but this really has nothing to do with the Klipsch though

so what do you guys think, will the bass from the RF-5's be enough to make me happy, without makeing the midrage muddy?

WELCOME!

OK, I am also a JBL master (look at my sig.) The Northridge Series you have now is very nice, and very loud.

However, they will probably not put out more bass. BUT, they will be a lot cleaner, and in general, they will sound a lot better (IMOSmile.gif)

You will probably want a sub in the near future. If 4, 10" woofers are not cutting it, think about dual SVS Subwoofers, or a 15" or 18" subwoofer. That is another issue, so post it in the Subwoofer section and you will get a lot of help their.

To reiterate, the Klipsch will peobably have less bass, but will sound a LOT better. You will probably need a sub if you are a bass head (like meSmile.gif)

Again, welcome, and enjoy! Best of luck with your system!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

i never said the JBL's don't have enough bass, they will go to tremoudous levles (then the amp starts to clip) yeah i like my bass, i also have a sub, a DIY, 12" 150watt (getting a better driver sometime, but for now its ok)

i am also reading reviews and stuff, and how much of a differnce is there from the RF-3 II and the RF-5? they both use the same woofer's and i think tweeter (although horn is bigger on the RF-5's) but do they really justify the extra $$$?

and as a last note, how do the RF-3 II/RF-5 compare to the PSB 6T?

I had to make a similar decision this year and chose the RF-5's . I listened to both in the same room with the same system. Does the 5 provide $650 more in the bass department over the 3 ? I don't think so . Overall sound it is probably worth the money.I wanted the extra 4 inches the 5's have because I do alot of listening standing up and walking around. Also remember,if it is a factor for you, that the RF-3 only comes in black. The RF-5 comes in black , cherry and maple.It's the same old story. Everyones situation is different. I got the cherry to match my RF-7s and never looked back. They sounded better when I got them home. Good luck.

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

This message has been edited by BBB on 07-10-2002 at 07:41 AM

To me, the RF-5's are just an RF-3 with an 8" horn and wood colors rather than black.... Not worth the extra price to me either. Now that is not to say that there is no difference. I have not heard either. BUt still, that's just my thoughts of them.

------------------

icon98.gif Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665. icon97.gif

s>

yeah, i do like the cherry finish for the RF-5's, and the RF-3II's are only black, i also heard the RF-5's have a completely differnt tweeter then the RF-3II's

but here's the deal:

I am 15, and have the JBL ND310's they are not bad speakers, i just want something more clear in the mids/highs, and just a new brand name

i have about $250 already saved, and can find the RF-3II pretty cheap online ($560+shipping) and the RF-5's are a good amount more ($1,100+shipping)

i just don't know what i should do, i had the crazy idea of getting the RF-7, but then told myself $1,600 (found them online for that much)is too much for speakers (for now)

I would be REALLY happy to get the RF-5's used for like $700 somewhere, but noone has any used

also i heard alot of people said Klipsch are really really bright, and are hard to listen to for extended periods of time...........is this really true?

as a last note, my next speaker upgrade, well i didn't want it a step up from my JBL's, i wanted 2 steps up, i mean the next speakers i get, i will have for 5-7 years, and maybe even longer, so i want to make sure i am happy, but am i really making the right decsion?

Thank You

-Rick

Well, I am 16 here. Smile.gif

I bought the ProMedia 5.1's a while back.... and just purchases some KG-2.5's also. Haven't recieved them as of yet....

Well, Klipsch can be bright, yes. The horn tweeter reall accents the highs, more than some like. Personally, I love it. Even though the PM's do not have a true, horn, like floorstandings or Heritage series, I can tell a huge diference. IMO for the better.

As of now, I am going for a KG series HT... I should have waited for the Reference, but... I think the KG series is nice too.

Some of these resident members of the Home Audio sections should be able to give you a good description on differences in sound between the two, etc... I am mostly a PM guy now... Smile.gif

------------------

icon98.gif Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665. icon97.gif

s>