DIY outdoor subwoofer

franticsled

Well for xmas my beautiful wife got me some AW650's and I know I wont be happy with them without a sub. I would love to DIY with something like the niles underground or something along that line. Never built one before so I have no idea how to get started or what I will need. Based on looking at the niles underground deal a peice of say 10" or 12" heavy plastic pipe about 24" long and a couple of caps to seal it off on the ends and then say 3" for the port with a rain cap on the top. If I can get educated on placement I would cut plywood for a nice fit inside the pipe and mount the woofer to that.....basicly a ring. Where does the woofer need to be placed, and how long does the port pipe need to stick inside and how far away from the woofer? It would be quite expensive to do trial and error with the pipe!! Or could a guy build like an svs cylinder design....I am open for options

Once that is figured out, I need to pick a driver and I would use one of my parasound amps or an old fisher I have to drive it, however with zone 2 I dont have a pre out sub port.....it will be easy enough to get a signal to it but it will be a full range signal, so a crossover of some type will be needed, correct? Any suggestions woould be great, and by the way, I have no neigbors close by and my "yard" is 5 acers so I can crank it up without ticking anyone off!!

no one wants to throw their 2 cents in?.... i am just looking for some decent bass to add the missing from a 6" driver.....dont have to be an award winning design!! or even look pretty for that matter!! in searching for info online it seems there are a lot of choices in design, i will figure something out with the woofer if someone can comment on a crossover, will the famous paradigm x-30 do me any good?