LaScalas room placement

Shock-Late

How the hell do you guys place your LS in your listening room???

when I let them against rear wall, parallel, without toeing them in, sound is smoother, more open, bass is deeper, treble is less harsh... but imaging is poorly centered and sweet spot is... a very little spot :o/

when i toe them in towards listening position, stereo imaging is superb, dynamics also, but mids seem to scream at my head and treble seem to hang in front of the speakers. bass is less good too...

maybe I just need to finish to build my ALK x-overs as soon as possible, so I'll be able to tame down the midrange a bit...hum.

When I had my La Scalas (sniff, sniff... Frown.gif )

My room is 17 X 24. Speakers go against one of the 17 foot walls, couch where I sit is about 6 feet in front of the back wall, centered in the room.

I found them to sound very bestest when I had them about seven feet apart (inner boundry to inner boundry), meaning they were about three feet from the side walls, pulled out into the room so that their backs were about four feet away from the front wall (meaning their fronts were six feet away from the wall). Given the couch position, I was about ten feet away from them. Toed in about halfway between pointing straight ahead and pointing straight at me. This optimized everything except bass response, of which they don't have any anyways. I used an REL Storm to fill in the bass.

I used Al's crossovers, and I can tell you that you will absolutely be able to change the relative balance of the midrange with respect to the bass / treble if you get his crossovers. You can bring it forward, move it back, and by quite a significant amount.

Have you damped the horns with caulk or Dynamat? Dynamat made a big difference in my (cast metal) horns, particularly playing vocals at loud levels.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System