Klipsche Quartet - purchased 1991- should I sell or keep?

golfdawg11

x4 or 5 on keeping the quartets, your initial price is a little high compared to what these sell for. there is a pair close to me with upgraded capacitors in the crossover for $350 obo & thats about average for ebay on these too. i see the fortes & the big chorus go for $500-$750 on ebay. so for the money you would get out of them i say keep them, nothing else new will compare in the ~$400 range.

if you plan to use them with the tv as part of a home theater system, find a good used center like was suggested & then look for a used receiver, no need to go seperates as any home theater receiver can be 2ch by just turning off the surround mode. alll current 5.1 reveivers have standard stereo mode & most decent brands will sound excellent for music or movies. persoanlly i prefer onkyo, they are the best bang for the buck IMO. look for the 600-800 series, such as a 805 or 605 if you want hdmi pass through, otherwise any of the slightly older units like 777 or 676 are very good units with about 80-100 wats per channel to all channels & sound great in stereo mode pushing klipsch speakers.

also dont forget for a correct 5.1 or 7.1 theater set up you need to have rear/surround speakers, those can be anything from klipsch 2.5 series to the newer gold woofer dual tweeter ones like the rs-3 or rs-35, not a perfect match for tweeters etc but for surrounds they will be just fine.

keep the quartets & they sound great in stock form, upgrades are only if you dont like the sound or get the "bug" that many of us here have. klipsch knew what they were doing with these older heritage series speakers.

Edited by klipschfancf4

Yes, "Mods" or "modding" refers to updating the caps on the xovers, perhaps replaceing the original phenolic diaphragms with titanium in the squawker and tweeter.

The Quartet is a very respectable speaker. I own forte II that I bought new in 1992, which is the bigger brother to the quartet. INMHO you would need to spend close to $3,000.00 on new speakers to do better than what you have. Are you sure you paid over a $1,000.00 new? I only paid $850.00 for my forte II in 1992 at a now defunct retailer by the name of United Audio.

I have made all of the above modifications on my forte II and would never consider parting with.

Best regards,

John

I would have DEANG make up some new crosoovers. The old crossovers are holding back the performance of the speakers for you to make a complete assessment.