Help ID speakers and suggestions?

WyoKlipscher

Klipsch newbie.

I was super-thrilled to find 5 Klipsch speakers at a thrift store last year. You don't want to know what I paid. They didn't know what they had (I gave extra out of guilt.)

I'm setting up my home theater room with these speakers; in the framing stage right now, ready to wire. I have a projector, these speakers, XBox, Wii, DISH, and other music input to hook up to them. I don't know what these speakers are. There's a S/N number on the back of the sub and that's all.

Can anyone ID them? They're oak, two towers and two small speakers, 1 powered sub with front and rear cones.

I tested them today for the first time. Wow. Wow. Wow. Except for the sub hum (doesn't do it when I pull speaker wires.)

Suggestions for receiver $500 or less?

Suggestions for speaker layout for movies? Big speakers front or rear? Sub in front or back of room?

Any other suggestions?

So far, just hooking them up to my ordinary receiver with equalizer in my shop, I didn't hear the deep clear bass that I expect from some movies but I was playing music, not a movie.

I confess that I am no expert!

Thanks for any advice and help.

post-57952-0-36100000-1390787103_thumb.j

post-57952-0-96220000-1390787205_thumb.j

post-57952-0-90860000-1390787258_thumb.j

Thanks. Forgot a question:

In the photo, maybe you can see there's only one output for L, one output for R on the subwoofer. I'm wondering what is the correct way to wire these. Front or rear speaker run through sub? Large or small? Both sets twisted together? One pair run through sub, one pair directly from amp?

Glad I've come to the right place.

• Moderators

First Speaker - Probably an SW10

Second Speaker - These are KG 1.2. They were basically a center channel speaker for the KG series speaker. Some have used them in an LCR configuration and used them as Mains and Center. Some even have used them as surrounds.

Third Speaker - They appear to be CF-2's. If they have 8" woofers, they are CF-2, 10" are CF-3. I've owned two sets of CF-2's and they are great little speakers. A sub really helps though since they don't have a ton of bottom end.

• Moderators

Thanks. Forgot a question:

In the photo, maybe you can see there's only one output for L, one output for R on the subwoofer. I'm wondering what is the correct way to wire these. Front or rear speaker run through sub? Large or small? Both sets twisted together? One pair run through sub, one pair directly from amp?

Glad I've come to the right place.

Best way to hook up the sub is if your receiver has a Sub Out. It will be a single RCA connection. Then you will need a Digital Coax Cable and a "Y" adapter so that it will look like this.

AT22030-4.jpg

Edited by Youthman

• Moderators

You will plug the single RCA into the back of your receiver and then connect the two mail RCA into the "Input L R" on the subwoofer. The "Left Right" to Speakers and "Left Right" from amplifier are in case you do not have a subwoofer out on your receiver. You would then use speaker wire and come out of your Left, Right on your receiver, into the "Left RIght from amplifer", then another pair of speaker wires from the "Left Right to speakers" and connect to your main speakers.

Thanks for replies! Big help!

I left out some data. Measurements for speakers:

#1, which I take to be the sub: 18" box w/10" speaker front and rear.

#2, 19"+ box w/8" speaker.

#3, 38"+ box w/8" speakers.

My cheapo shop receiver has no sub hookup so I'll be looking for that in a new receiver, along w/mult HDMI.

How would you place these speakers for movies? Do you think they're a good theater combo?

• Moderators

As mentioned, #1 is likely this SW10 Subwoofer. 10" active subwoofer on the front with 12" passive on the back.

#2 should be KG 2.2 - Details here. They have dual 6.5" woofers.

#3 are CF-2. Details here

With these speakers, I would use CF-2 for Left and Right speakers, use the KG 2.2 for surrounds and get a KV-3 for a center channel.

Klipsch CF-2, Klipsch KV-3 and a Velodyne F-1500 sub was my very first Klipsch setup.

Klipsch.jpg

Klipsch%20%283%29.JPG

• Like 1

• Moderators

I was super-thrilled to find 5 Klipsch speakers at a thrift store last year. You don't want to know what I paid. They didn't know what they had (I gave extra out of guilt.)

If you paid less than $200, you got a good deal. CF-2's are worth around $150 - $200, KG 2.2's are worth around $75 - $100 on Ebay. Not sure how much the SW10 is worth.

There are two ways to hook up this sub. As Youth stated, the best way is using the RCA inputs. The speaker connections are for high level input, and are used if you do not have a sub out on your receiver/AVR. I'm not sure that a digital COAX is better. It seems like I read somewhere that digital coax should be used for digital connections as it is made specifically for them. The RCA's you are connecting from and to are analog.

That second speaker could be either a KG-2.2 or KG-2.5. I'm not sure if there is one that is better than the other. I have had both, and frankly one is as good as the other IMO.

Edited by mustang guy

Big thanks, great advice, exactly what I'd hoped for! So, all I need now is the KV-3. I'm searching already...

Also, AV Receiver needed. Suggestions in the $300 - $500 or so range that'll treat these speakers right?

Price was $20, untested. Apparently, a rare lucky break.

• Like 1

• Moderators

$20 for all of that is a SWEET deal indeed! Congrats. For HT, I've enjoyed Yamaha, Onkyo and Harman Kardon. If 2ch music is important, IMO, Yamaha and Onkyo didn't have enough separation for my taste. I've settled on HK for both HT and 2ch and love how they sound with Klipsch. I paid $400 for my Harman Kardon AVR3600. It doesn't have 4k, 3D, Pandora, etc but it does support all of the HD audo formats, HDMI as well as Preouts for an amp should you desire to add one in the future.

Youthman. I went and looked it up about the coax cable. I had it backwards. You cannot use analog coax/rca for digital SPDIF, due to manufacturer tolerances being low in an analog cable. Digital coax has the same 75 ohm resistance as analog, but has a +/-1% tolerance. However, you CAN use a digital coax for an analog signal. I would check the price, and if it's close, the digital will be as good or better than an analog cable.

Sorry for the confusion.

Craig

Jeez! You're quicker than I am! I found and bought the KV-3 on ebay, $123.50, trusting the seller rating to help me make my decision, shipping included. Only bummer is no one is selling one with the oak cabinet like my set. No problem, really, it won't show where I'll put it.

I'm not up on a lot of what you're talking about. I've got some reading to do. I just figured out that HT means home theater. LOL. By 2Ch, I assume you mean what us old guys used to call Quad, or 4 speakers, two separate channels, as in speakers A and B. IDK what 4k is, don't plan on 3-D. I will check out your suggestions regarding Jeff's Pioneer and your HK.

I also plan on leaving conduit in my walls so that I can easily upgrade wiring for whatever the future brings.

Again, many thanks!

• Moderators

Yes, HT = Home Theater
2ch = Music. Typically either 2ch speakers or 2 speakers and a subwoofer.

4k is a high resolution video. It's fairly new technology. Not a must have as most Blurays are 1080p resolution.

Conduit is the walls is a fantastic idea. Makes it easier to upgrade down the road.

Ask all the questions you want. We are all here to help and were once where you are now.

• Moderators

Standard DVD resolution is 480 horizontal lines of resolution on your TV.

Bluray is up to 1080 lines of resolution on your TV.

Upscaling is the process of taking standard DVD's at 480 and "upscaling" them to a higher resolution of 1080p.

It's a good feature to have if you watch standard DVD's.

Edited by Youthman