need new tweeter for kg 5.5

flamingeye

hello , I have 4 klipsch KG 5.5's but my front right speaker's tweeter is sounding a little stressed with some high frequencies . I'm assuming the tweeter is probably going bad these speakers are pretty old , anyway I figured I should replace all four speakers tweeters but do not no how or who to contact being that these are so old and discontinued . any help is appreciated.

tweeters "usually" work or they dont, when they blow they just stop working. sounds like it might be a capacitor issue in the x-over. caps are "supposed" to start going bad after ~20 years. i owned the kg5.5's for over 15 years & the tweeters never gave out, & i listen louder than most.

as for contact info, check out bob crites website or he may chime in here for you. he offers an upgraded titanium tweeter diaphrams for about $50/pair, supposed to be a nice improvement in sound. he also can hook you up with a x-over rebuild kit for them. or just look at the value (numbers printed on the cap) & buy replacement caps from a place like parts express, they are very cheap for equal quality as whats in there. ot too hard to replace, if you can solder you can replace them.

i loved my kg 5.5's & think they are one of the most under rated klipsch speakers out there.

Edited by klipschfancf4

think's for your reply ,from your reply I did some further listening tests and found out my wife's oil lamp that is of quit size and ornate and sitting right next to my right speaker was resonating at the frequencies that I thought the tweeter was stressing at, quick fix was between the globe and burner I placed some tack paper cut to size around the base of the globe and burner dampening it . thank you so much , knowing that the tweeters had more life to them made me look further into the problem . I will still check out those Bob Crites upgrades , but I have no complaints on how my KG 5.5 sound right now. I think there one of the best investments I made to my system period.......

glad to hear it was an outside object causing the problem. like i said, you would be hard pressed to blow a tweeter unless you feed the speakers lots of dirty power at crazy high volume levels. but for ~$50 a pair the titanium tweeters are supposed to be an improvement, but if you are happy with their sound as is, save your money.

hay I'm all for improvements , but that can be in the ear of the beholder , why the oil lamp decided now to start resonating is strange it's been there for years, but life can/is strange . I do love how my KG's performer and I'm not one to get all hung up on squeezing every last bit of performance out of things I prefer to sit back and enjoy a good experience and not stress the little things .

• 3 years later...
On 2/27/2014 at 2:45 PM, klipschfancf4 said:

tweeters "usually" work or they dont, when they blow they just stop working. sounds like it might be a capacitor issue in the x-over. caps are "supposed" to start going bad after ~20 years. i owned the kg5.5's for over 15 years & the tweeters never gave out, & i listen louder than most.

as for contact info, check out bob crites website or he may chime in here for you. he offers an upgraded titanium tweeter diaphrams for about $50/pair, supposed to be a nice improvement in sound. he also can hook you up with a x-over rebuild kit for them. or just look at the value (numbers printed on the cap) & buy replacement caps from a place like parts express, they are very cheap for equal quality as whats in there. ot too hard to replace, if you can solder you can replace them.

i loved my kg 5.5's & think they are one of the most under rated klipsch speakers out there.

I am searching for 4 replacement tweeters for my tractrix horns  in my kg 5.5 speakers and want to know where to purchase the upgrade titanium diaphrams - like what is this bob crites web site ?

Thanks PAt in Accord , N.Y.

• Like 1