Back to the Future with the Spankers...

Mallette

Before anybody comments, I know this isn't "2 channel audio," but the subject is darn sure not home theater either.

I posted an issue,,,still really unresolved...in HT about why my HT receiver was attenuating the rear channels in what was supposed to be pass through mode. Still don't understand that as the speakers are identical as is the amplifier output, but figured out how to change output levels on the Roland R-44 to reduce the front to a decent balance.

Anyway, got my Spankers surround recording made in 2001 playing in 4 channel 24/96. I've been told so many times over the past decade "it isn't that simple, your approach is BS, surround doesn't work, etc" I half believed it.

For something that doesn't work, I am hearing a completely immersive image where I am at a front row table in the Saxon Street Pub. Bottles clink, people shuffle, and don't do so from the stage. The band is arrayed precisely as the photos I have show and firmly planted. It isn't perfect, as my rear speakers, while identical to the front, are up about 7 feet on the wall and offset to the left as the wiring was put there by the previous owner. Since I only use it for HT I haven't messed with it. I remain convinced that a surround sound system needs four identical speakers in identical positions...a room with 4 usable corners would be perfect. Can't swing that in this house but I can get close in my library which I intend to do. I'll get back to experimenting with SoundCube now that I have an easily portable 4 channel recording device. I built all the others and they were PC based and a bit of a hassle. The Roland may not be quite the quality, but it is excellent and certainly easy to move around. I'll be able to get a whole rig sans mike stands in a medium equipment case.

Plus, we'll have the new pipe organ in the church by the end of June and I'll be busy recording the dedication and such. I also hope the relationship I'm developing with the organ contractors will yield some opportunities.

Dave

• Like 1