Panamax 7500pro from ebay

etc6849

I ended up buying an open box Panamax 7500pro from ebay. This thing is a beast. I got it mainly to remotely turn on my buttkicker amps remotely as the 7500 has a serial port and I plan to write a driver to control it. The control protocol is extensive and two-way also, pretty neat! I'll be able to do things like have it email me when over and under voltage conditions occur, turn individual outlets on/off remotely, monitor voltage and current remotely, etc...

It's also nice having under and over voltage protection, voltage regulation and an isolation transformer for my display - all in one unit. I'm not sure what the odds are of an under voltage condition damaging something (probably very small), but brownouts are possible.

For the insane price I paid and getting the rack ears, box, etc with it, it seems worth it. IP addressable outlets are close to $300 to control the buttkicker amps. I could have put in z-wave controllable outlets, but I would have to add a tripple gang box and 15 amp z-wave outlets are expensive too.

post-31898-0-50400000-1395006592_thumb.j

post-31898-0-70800000-1395006601_thumb.j

post-31898-0-80920000-1395006606_thumb.j

Thanks! This thing weighs almost 40 lbs. These seem to go sub $400 on ebay pretty often now. I bought one of the cheaper open boxes I'd seen.

I think they used to sell for $1900, then went to $799 this year.

The only bad thing (and why there's probably open boxes) about it is the toroidal transformers in them buzz some. Mine is quiet enough for a rack, but if it was going on a shelf under a TV, it'd be a no go. So if anyone's thinking about one, make sure you have a rack or something that's away from your listening position.