In wall audio rack build thread suggestions

MichaelandKlipsch

I will need to see where to get rack rails as you do to screw into my cabinet enclosure with lag bolts. I will also have to use 4 of them as well my AVS 2000 is 70lbs, my ups3700 is nearly 90 lbs and all 4 amps add up to a lot of weight…. Plus the darbee o boy the darbee is the icing on the cake at nearly 6oz lol

Whee did you purchase the Pretreated and stained plywood?

I pretreated with Minwax Wood conditioner before I stained the wood. I did not buy the wood like that.

I would not recommend it either unless you can get enough to do your entire project and anything else that may come up in the future in that room. It could be very difficult to match later.

For staining and varnishing plywood I use these: Shur-line handi Painter paint pads.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shur-Line-6-in-Handi-Painter-Paint-Pad-01500H/100186429

I use the mini roller pans with them, they work perfect.

Goes very quick on flat surfaces and does a good job. Use Satin finish stain and not gloss and mistakes will not show nearly as bad.

Sand to 220grit. Pretreat with wood conditioner, stain with paint pad and allow to dry a couple hours or more, put first coat of varnish with clean pad.

Allow to dry fully, overnight, VERY lightly sand with 220 just enough to take off the raised grain. Watch the edges so you don't take the finish.

Wipe clean and put a second coat of varnish on with paint pad. Second coat is the important one, it should look wet when done. You want to keep a wet edge.

I just had an idea after reading your post. If I make a larger cabinet past the support beam and make it around 22” wide and have the cabinet frame/support in-between the 19” beams I could just insert the 2 amps and pre amp from the rear cabinet door through the attic. That way the faceplate would meat nice and flush but not be to snug to fit through.

That is exactly what I am talking about. The front edge of the cabinet as it enters the room would be very much like mine only taller.

Behind it in the attic it would be easier to think about it as closing in a room vs building a cabinet. It is in your attic, make it big enough you can get inside with the gear. You don't need anything pretty behind the gear if you use blank faceplates to cover empty slots. Even if you don't paint it black you should not see it because there should be zero light in that room. Cover the walls with something cheap, hardwood plywood is not necessary if you can't see it.

I didn't even paint inside mine and you would have to put your face up to a hole around the Xbox and shied your eyes to have a chance of seeing in there.

If you can't find rails cheap and unless you need it somewhere else I would scalp the rack you have and use the parts.

Angle grinder with a cut off blade makes quick work of racks...

Missed your rack shelf question. Got them and the blank faceplates from same place I got the rack rails. Buying new is EXPENSIVE.

Don't forget to check screw size and thread. They are not all the same.

IMG_6436.jpg

• Like 1

Gotcha Wake, I have stained before in a very similar fashion and will be doing the same here. I agree on the rollers the small ones are better. I used the small4” wide ones used for doors, cabinets and moldings for all the painting work on all the moldings in the room and they came out top notch perfect. As of right now there is zero light in the room. I most likely will use a sheet of ½ hardwood plywood and paint it with a roller with black interior paint for furniture that I have from Lowes. I will be putting hinges on the door with magnets to close it nice and tight. The molding trim that will go around the border of the opening will be 5.75” mdf molding that is pre primed to match that around my room and door frame. I’ll paint it with the leftover paint I used on the molding to make it match. Will search and hunt for rails. Thanks for the guidance I really appreciate it. My first thought was to create the inwall cabinet and place the black tempered glass rack I have disassembled in the opening but that would have been the easy way out and not look as great.