Opinions on Ortofon SPU cartridges ?

Calling Alan Songer and others...

I currently enjoy a Classic GME but I am considering a Meister Silver, Synergy, Gold, 85th Anniversary, or 90th Anniversary. I enjoy the midrange of the GME but recently noticed I also like the detail of the Denon SL-1. I have researched on this board and others but need to better understand the sonic differences before I purchase.

The SPU is in a SME M2-12R (newer 3012) on a Thorens TD-124 Mk1 table. The remainder of the stream is a Bob's Devices CineMag 1131 (Blue) SUT, Mcintosh C-22 (tube preamp), Mcintosh MC225 (tube amp), and Klipsch Cornwall (with ALK crossovers).

IMHO the ALK crossovers and Bob's SUT made a big difference. And many thanks to NOSvalves for the C-22 restoration with the Russian Oil Caps.

I've had SPUs, SPEs, and one that was called something like SPE Light (??), in an SME arm, back in the '70s. The "Light" used an outboard (in line), solid state, moving coil amp by Martin, I think, rather than the then common transformers. IMO, the SPE sounded a little better than the SPU, and the "Light" -- whatever it was actually called -- sounded best of all, and much better than anything from CD, SACD, or DVD-A. Only the very best Blu-rays in DTS Master approach the quality I used to get from the "Light" with a good stereo Lp.

Edited by Garyrc