Loose cone in driver, but it still works ?

I bought a couple of woofers (K-24's) and the only problem was that one of them was low into the former. I figure the driver was stored cone up and had something on it weighing it down. Although the driver was still functional, the neutral position of the driver was close to the base of the former, and with less wattage than the other driver, it was bottoming out. This is not a polarity issue, since it happens regardless of the polarity.

I sprayed plain old Windex onto the surround front and back and the top of the spider, and moved the cone to the neutral position where it should be. I then let it dry in the correct position and tested it. It stiffened the spider and the surround, but I am a bit uneasy about calling it fixed.

Do any of you have experience with this kind of problem who wouldn't mind sharing their experiences?

Edited by mustang guy

Well I put the speaker in the cabinet. As soon as the new diaphragms come from Crites, I will test them out.

Bob does not have any of the recone kits unfortunately, so I hope they work.

As for the Windex, well that was what was on the shelf. :( I might also have tried alcohol, but feared it might melt the glue on the surround. Ammonia dries faster than plain water, and I wanted it to happen fast. Not to mention water would have likely caused bleeding of the cone. The Windex didn't do that. In fact, you can't tell anything was sprayed on it.

The KP-201 is restored, and the driver works fine. The speaker sounds exactly the same at any volume as it's sister KP-201.

In other news, I upgraded to the titanium Crites diaphragms. I didn't know what to expect, I was a bit concerned they would ring or hiss. As it turned out they are subtle, not harsh, and definitely an improvement to stock. Money well spent!