Center, Surrounds Match for KG4s

mgrahn

Hi!

I have the following for equipment:

Mains KG4s

Receiver: Yamaha rx-v395 receiver

I want to add a center speaker and 2 surrounds to my system. What would be a good choice on a limited budget. I was looking into the following:

surrounds: ss.5s

center speaker: sc-5

Would these br a good match for the kg4s?

thank you

------------------

Mike

Sacramento, CA

I have Kg-4's for mains and for a while I had an SC-1 for a center channel and SS-1's for surrounds.

The SC-1 did a pretty good job but I felt that it wasn't strong enough to keep up with the 4's. I bought a used KV-3 from another BB member for $200 and what a difference. The soundstage is absolutely seamless now and much deeper than it ever was with the SC-1.

So, while I think that you'd be pretty happy with the SC-.5 or SS-1 I would highly, HIGHLY recommend that you try to get a used KV-3. It's a much better match. I didn't want to buy used at first but I am so happy that I did. They show up on Ebay somewhat regularly.

As for the surrounds, as I said I had the SS-1's for a while then switched in a pair of Kg-3's. I was thrilled with this setup and had no intention of switching back. Then we bought a house with a living room that dictated wall mounted speakers again. After having the 3's as surrounds I felt that the SS-1's weren't up to the task. I bought a pair of RS-3's and I've been very happy ever since.

I think that you'll be happy with the SS-.5's or SS-1's.

Thanks guys for the info!!

What are these KSB1.1 I see on ebay selling very often and at a very good price. Are they cool?

By the way, I noticed there are different versions of the KG4s. I have the KG4s that were made in the 80s.

Just want to make sure we are talking about the right ones.

Mike

------------------

Mike

Sacramento, CA

Hi Mike - The KSB1.1s are the forerunners to the SB-1. You can read about them in the Classic section of the Home Audio menu on the Klipsch web site.

And I believe I speak for the group when I say that yes, we are talking about KG-4s, not any of the "." versions that followed.

Doug

------------------

My System

The SS-1s are enroute to another forum member...JHawk still has the KV-3 posted...excellent match for the KG 4s...I'm still hanging on to mine. I will have a KSW-12 available when the new SVS PCI+ subs ship in late August.

I set up a nice system with KG4s main, Kv-3 center, SS-1 mains, and KSW-12 sub...Convinced me to continue on the upgrade road while the $s were available.

Honestly, though I could never get rid of my poor battered KG4s...no decimal...just pure rock..LOL

Cluless,

You are going to love the SVS. My set up is as follows:

Kg-4's

Kv-3

Rs-3's

SVS 20-39PCi

It really is amazing how well the SVS mates with Klipsch but not a complete surprise. Tom Vodhanel originally decided to build his own sub because he couldn't find a sub that was fast enough to keep up with his Klipsch KLF's. That started him on the road to SVS and the rest is history. I figured, if TV built his first SVS specifically to go with Klipsch then it must be a good match.

Sorry if you already knew all of that and I just bored you to death.

I almost held out for the PCi+ but I couldn't take the wait any longer. I got it in late spring and have been in heaven since.

This message has been edited by erdric on 07-25-2002 at 09:10 PM

erdric -

Thanx for the info, that was all news to me. I ordered the 25-31 PCI Plus, evidently it's tunable to 20hz. Now it's just a matter of waiting. I'm now running R7s all around and a KSW - 12 sub. The KG-4s are in the bedroom awaiting repairs.