RB5 or RF3's with Onkyo SR700?

GaryA

My older brother is getting the new Onkyo SR700 and is going to start with RF3 or RB5 fronts RC3 center and RB3 for rears. He isn't sure whether to get the RB5's or RF3's for the fronts. Sonically what are your observations? There are some differences in the woofers but I don't know how much and I think they crossover at different points (couldn't find crossover spec on this site for the RB5, only RF3). I personally prefer the great wood finishes in maple and cherry over the black vinyl of the RF3's. My brother will be using HSU VTF-2 for sub.It also appears the RC3 only comes in black vinyl, correct? Anyone who's demoed both please respond and give your opinion. Also, anyone had any dealings with reliableaudiovideo.com? That is who he's dealing with and they have about the cheapest prices overall. Thanks, Gary.

• Like 1

Stream of conciousness comments...

RB5 is maybe a little faster tighter midbass

RF3 has lower bass extension

RB5 will cost more if you buy a good pair of stands, you can play with height, anchor differently to moderate vibration

RB5 is prettier

RF3 may be a little more efficient

RB5 "good things come in small packages"

HSU sub is cool

I use a sealed Adire Audio Rava sub with my RB5s.

With sealed cabinets you can give up some low bass extension and eficiency but I think you get a faster tighter sound.

Rava is nice looking

HSU has the port plug for experimentation

Good luck and happy Klipscin'

Rick