New Epics - very excited!

gmjungbluth

Just had to share...

I acquired a pair of Epic CF-4 series 1 this weekend. They are kind of a replacement for my recently-department Khorns.

I've only played with them a little but my initial impressions are that they are very sensitive and dynamic (though not as sensitive as the corner horns), but that they have MUCH more bass and amazing imaging, even in my acoustically-challenged living room.

The finish is neglected so I'll be working on that this week, and then they'll be going into my main listening area in the basement.

I've been lurking for a while on the forum reading about all the CF-4 mods, and at some point I may attempt some (I've done my own crossover and cabinet mods before but nothing on this scale). For now I'm just going to enjoy.

BTW - any recommendations on what would be best to restore a faded cherry finish? I tried a little lemon oil which seemed to work well. I also have Howard's orange wax.

G

Welcome to the forum & congrats on your CF...

Cheers,

Jimmy

Update:

Both pairs of these CF4s were made in late 1994, but they have different length tubes at the bottom - the pair made on day 302 has 5" tubes, the other pair 2.5". Both pairs otherwise sound the same and look the same. 

From what I've researched the 2.5" tubes denote Series 2, so despite what I was told when I bought them, at least one of these pairs is Series 2. I've also read that the horns in Series 1 speakers were grey, and the horns in both pairs of my CF4s are black. 

So I have a conundrum. I have one set with 2.5" tubes made earlier than a set with 5" tubes. Otherwise they look and sound the same. 

I guess it's a nice problem to have but I do wish I knew what the story was here....