AL-3 Crossover testing and then some...

notboating

I recently acquired a pair of 1982 La Scalas. They have the AL-3 crossover networks that I replaced the caps in using a Bob Crites kit. I'd like to test the network to make sure that I did everything correctly.

On a side note, while listening today, after about 10 minutes a strange hum began and as soon as I heard it i got up and went to the stereo (12 feet from me) to turn it off and when I got there it had peaked and then just stopped. I couldn't tell if it was from 1 or both speakers. No smoke or odor, nothing that I could easily pinpoint.

At the time I was listening to a TV concert.

TV signal to McIntosh C-28 pre-amp sent to a pair of Dynaco Mk III's then to the La Scalas.

New to forum, ther is a lot of la scala information here and a few searches yielded a ton of results but nothing I thought was in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

It went away, right.

Over the years, I've had two customers tell me that when they fired their systems up after installing the crossovers that a "howling sound" followed, which then dissipated.

You can use a meter to check for cold solder joints - put the leads on the joints and then tap or wiggle the leads - if the number jump - you have a bad joint.

As for the noise - I have no idea. I was just glad it went away. : )