Is it normal ...

Vladi

1) Whenever I turn on the receiver, the KSW-12 subwoofer "pops" very loudly. Is this normal? If not is the subwoofer at fault, or the receiver?

2) My receiver is Sony DE975, kinda cheapo but powerful. I hear "hisssssss" from the main SB-2 speakers when volume is turned up and nothing is playing (or less dynamic moment of a song). Is this the "sony hiss"? Is this "normal" noise for this price level of receivers?

And last, what do you guys recommend for receiver in the $500 range.

Thanks in advance,

Vladi

I am willing to bet the cause of both 1 and 2 is the reciever, specially the hissing. The Klipsch speakers are so sensitive that they'll pickup any faults of the equipment. Also, when I was trying a KSW-12 in my house, it never popped once, so again, I am willing to bet it is your reciever.

As for recievers in the $500 range, I'd try the Outlaw 1050 (which is only available on-line, though), or the Denon AVR1802. Both of those are considered very good recievers. I can personally vouch for the Denon, (although I have the little bit higher end AVR3802).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

vddobrev,

I use some similar components in my HT set-up...

As for the "pop" on your sub when your receiver is turned on: Is you sub plugged into the same outlet or even the same circuit as your receiver? I have a small keg refridgerator plugged into the same circuit as my KSW 10 sub and everytime the compressor kicks in I get a pop...but not when my Sony STRDE-925 turns on.

As for the hiss...well that's more likely the receiver or possibly a source or even more probable your source material. Next time you hear the hiss try hitting "pause" on your DVD or CD player...more often than not I find the hiss to be a problem on the source material. Although my Sony receiver has alot more hiss than my old 2 ch. Yamaha...I still have to turn it up above my normal listening levels (which are fairly loud) in order to hear the hiss.

Good Luck!

Dave

to reduce the hiss on your sony:

use digital connections when possible and set the input mode for those connections to that type of connection, vs.'auto'

all unused inputs should be set to optical

see if that helps.avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Reporting back:

I have read lots of reviews online and on this board. I went to Good Guys and got two open box receivers, both at the same price of $599. The contenders are:

1) Sony STR-DA3ES

2) Denon AVR-2802

Test for music - Pink Floyd - The Wall. It has very diverse dynamics and I think was good test.

Test for movie - my daughter's favorite - Tarzan.

I used external EQ to make sure I am inputing the same signal for music, while receivers' EQ was off. DVD was digital in.

Here are my findings:

* Hissing - both receivers not present or very minimal at max volume (source is on pause.)

* Subwoofer popping - both receivers not present (so it was the previous receiver STR-DE975.)

As far as "sound" comparison, here are my personal thoughts:

Sony STR-DA3ES:

* Music: powerful (100W), deep bass, clean warm mids, clean crisp trebs. Really "opens" my speaker setup.

* Movies: My daughter and I watched her favorite movie today - Tarzan. She has seen it before on my previous cheap PC Altec Lansing setup with Dolby Digital 4.1 . When we saw it today, I said WOW, and she said: "Daddy, what happened? The movie is very big..." She is only 2 1/2 old ...

Denon AVR-2802

* Music: not so powerful (80W), a little bit shallow bass, clean mids but a bit harsh/metallic, clean crisp trebs. My speaker setup sounded better with sony.

* Movies: Tarzan was good, but Sony was better.

So, I will keep the Sony. Denon 2802 does not satisfy my preferences, a bit harsh and metallic for me. And I cannot afford $999 to try the 3802.

Thank you all who replied and gave me advise. So far didn't have time to setup inputs to reduce hissing, but with the present receiver it is minimal anyway.

Finally, my HT is:

Sony STR-DA3ES

SB-2

SC-1

KSW-12

Quintets for the LS and RS

Well, it is no RF series, but it is a start and I am satisfied.

Vladi

vlad, as for the sub pop, if its real loud & disturbing, that may be because the receiver switching mute circuit for the sub preout is broke. most of the mainstream receivers put these in to prevent noise when switching on/off, inputs, modes, etc. w/ the receiver.

was happening w/ my marantz sr8000. took it back & got new sr8000 & everything was fine again.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Well, as I was returning the Denon 2802, the salerep told me they had the Sony STR-DA5ES on sale for $899. I ended up buying it, spending $400 over my original budget, but hope is a long lasting investment. I was surprised that it had two remmotes, one of which has an LCD and flip-up cover, under which are more buttons for setup.

I am not experiencing the hiss nor the sub "pop" anymore!

Vladi

------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Front: SB-2

Center: SC-1

Surround: 2 Quintets (looking for one more)

Subwoofer: KSW-12

Receiver: Sony STR-DA5ES

Lots of CDs and DVDs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vladi - Can't find any info on the Sony web site for the STR-DA5ES (?!?), but I'm sure it's a fine piece.

If they also carry the Denon 3802, that might be worth looking at if you're thinking of spending that kind of money. A great all-around performer, and very popular amongst the folks on this board.

------------------

My System

Doug,

I know, that kinda sucks, they should take better care of their website!!! But Sony is famous for "once it is out of production, it is not on their website.

Price: The day before it was $1199, and it went on liquidation sale for $899! I already looked at 3802 - I like the Sony better because (of course this is only my opinion):

1) It seemed easier to operate to me

2) Sounds warmer and more appealing with my speakers

3) Learning Remote with much better design and feel, and it has an additional remote for the second room.

4) Has 2-nd room speaker connections, and a pre-amp for 3-rd room. I will be placing speakers in my bathroom cwm11.gif

5) Has gold plated connectors (hmm, not a big plus but...)

Anyway, I like the Sony better, but I am only saying it is better for me, and only in my opinion ... and I have been known to have different opinions and like what others don't ... he he he.

Vladi

------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lots of CDs and DVDs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

good choice on the sony da5es. they are coming out w/a new receiver that is the most expensive es receiver i am aware of.($2k?) sony receivers/remotes are easy to use, especially if you have alot of sony components.TRY THE ANTI-HISS TWEAKS I GAVE YOU! it will be time well spent. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Avman,

Thanks for your hints... you were right, I switched to using digital coax for my CD player, and no hiss at all, even at max volume it is complete silence. I also put all other inputs to optical where possible.

Another question: digital coax or optical is better? Sony manual recommends coax, sales reps recommend optical.

------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lots of CDs and DVDs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

quote:

Originally posted by vddobrev:

Avman,

I switched to using digital coax for my CD player, and no hiss at all, even at max volume it is complete silence.

Please modify your test just a little for me. Play your CD with your digital input, then pause it. Now turn the volume up and report back your silence level.

Thanks

j

quote:

Originally posted by vddobrev:

Avman,

When CD Player is on pause, silence level is minus infinity, I cannot hear any audible noise at all.

Vladi

I recently went from a Sony E2000ESD/EP9ES combo (old stuff, I KNOW!), which I still thought sounded very good ... but was hardly devoid of hiss, to a Rotel RSP-1066. The Sonys' understood when there was NO signal, i.e. STOP/OFF mode, but exhibited a fair amount of hiss in pause mode@full volume ... the EP9ES was worse than the E2000ESD. The Rotel seems to have corrected that issue. The truth was that most of the time, the signal would end up masking the hiss issue at reasonable listening levels. Some people are not aware that most digital units completely mute the output when NO digital signal is present (DIN UNLOCK)... you actually may hear relays clicking when you power up your CD player. Newer units also mute on a stream of 0's. Sounds like you are set!

enjoy.

I have a Sony STR-DE675 and it hisses like a pissed of cat at 1/2 volume. I use a optical digital cable from my CD changer.

WTF? I know it is only a $300 receiver, but is there anyway to fix it or try to get rif of the hiss.

ALSO, the hiss is THE SAME with BOTH RCA's and Optical outs from my CD changer.

Is this just the result of $300? I mean, it sounds very good, and has lots of power, but is the hiss just a fact of life for a $300 receiver?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!