Epic CF-2

Rivervalleymgb

I picked up another pair of Epic CF-2's last week. I haven't decided whether to keep them, part them out, or restore them. Both pair that I have are Series 1. The latest pair have pretty rough cabinets, so I will probably retest the woofers on both pair and keep the closest matched woofers in one pair. 

I would like to update the crossovers on the pair I restored a few years ago. I also have an extra pair of crossovers, but I have no idea on which series they came out of. Does anyone have the values for CF-2 Series 1?

I also have wondered about the rubber feet on these speakers. Anyone try substitutes? I have solid floors so spikes are not an option. 

The CF-2 cabinets seem very solid and I doubt that resonance is as much a problem on the CF-2 as it is on the larger Epic models. Since the Epic series has removable motor boards, bracing may be a challenge. 

I have also thought of using one of the latest pair to build a center channel for HT use. How do you think they would match up for my Klipschorns or my La Scalas. 

Lots of questions, I know.

Price:  The CF-4 (12" woofs) is selling for about $800 depending on condition.  Several recent listings have asked for $950-1,200.  I haven't seen much on CF-3 or CF-2.  The last couple of Ebay SOLD listings showed the CF-2 sold for $140 and $150.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=klipsch+epic&_from=R40|R40|R40&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=293&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR3.TRC2.A0.H3.Xklipsch+cf&_nkw=klipsch+cf&_sacat=293

Center Channel:  I think the CF-2's with dual 8"s would keep up with the Khorns or LS's, but I don't know about timbre matching.  I have heard LS's with a center LS and the sound is incredible.

I think a more important question is how do YOU think your CF-2 sounds for voice?  My stock CF-4 is a bit nasal and I don't like the quality of the sound for voice, it's too high pitched.  I did some minor mods to pad the CF-4 horn but the dome tweeter center I now have is much more pleasant than the horn driven center for male and female spoken voice.

Feet:  I have the spikes, but I removed them and put the CF-4 flat on a rubber pad, on a wood floor.  I prefer to NOT have that space under the speaker. (I have since trimmed the rubber pad to fit)

post-58280-0-26220000-1410541625_thumb.j

Usage:  Do you have a use for a second pair of CF-2 since they are basically floor standing R/L?  How do you use your first pair of CF-2?  My vote would be for you to restore your CF-2 cabs and not part them out.  The CF-3 & 4 use the same compression driver, but your CF-2 is different, so I would think the potential buyer market for them would be smaller.  I think restoring them would give you the most value.

Edited by wvu80

I find that the CF-2 horn tends to overwhelm the woofers at anything more than soft listening. The one pair I have restored I damped the horn and the back of the motorboard, removed the acoustic foam panels and stuffed with sonofil. That helped quite a bit, but I have some Eminence L-Pads I have thought of installing to tame the horn. They are extremely efficient and would make great party speakers. I got the second pair in a batch deal that I made. I have very little in each pair. I have Klipschorns, La Scala, KP-201, and the CF-2. 

I have used the restored pair as loaners to folks I have restored speakers for. I had them in my rotation with my Belles and JBL 4333a's. They are currently in the bedroom. 

I am to the point in life where I am thinking of downsizing my collection. I may just put together a system (receiver, turntable, speakers, cassette or RtR) and jsut sell a package deal. Just haven't made up my mind yet.

I find that the CF-2 horn tends to overwhelm the woofers at anything more than soft listening.

The one pair I have restored I damped the horn and the back of the motorboard, removed the acoustic foam panels and stuffed with sonofil.

That helped quite a bit, but I have some Eminence L-Pads I have thought of installing to tame the horn. They are extremely efficient and would make great party speakers. I got the second pair in a batch deal that I made. I have very little in each pair. I have Klipschorns, La Scala, KP-201, and the CF-2. 

I have used the restored pair as loaners to folks I have restored speakers for. I had them in my rotation with my Belles and JBL 4333a's. They are currently in the bedroom. 

I am to the point in life where I am thinking of downsizing my collection. I may just put together a system (receiver, turntable, speakers, cassette or RtR) and jsut sell a package deal. Just haven't made up my mind yet.

"The one pair I have restored I damped the horn and the back of the motorboard, removed the acoustic foam panels and stuffed with sonofil. "

That would be check, check, and double-check!  :lol:

+++

It sounds to me like you know pretty well where you're going with this, and you seem to know your CF-2 inside and out.

I don't know how bundle sales do, as compared with individual component sales.  I would think cassette sales would be very limited because cassettes are not readily available any more.  I've got a nice $1500 Nakamichi tape deck I doubt I could get $50 for! 

It would be a quick way to get equipment out of my hands! No time for second guessing. I would rather someone that wants vintage stuff to enjoy it then it just sitting on a shelf or in storage. I also need to go through my vinyl collection and narrow it down. I don't even know how many LP's, 78's, and 45's I have. Lots of 7 and 10" reels, also. I have two storage rooms now filled with equipment and media. Several Altec's, Klipsch, Sansui, Teac, Otari, Kenwood, etc. I want to minimize my audio footprint; limit it to just those systems I will actually use. I have thought about only trading gear so that I purposely limit extra gear (yet, I have my name on a pair of B&W 802 Diamond's...).