Surround Speaker setup help for newbie

Raz0r

• Moderators
Is it possible that my matched rf-7 7.1 will bring the rms per channel to the sub 100 area?

Absolutely possible.  I did not find bench mark testing for the SC-65 but Sound and Vision Magazine did bench test the SC-68 (which I'm guessing is a higher model than the SC-65).

Pioneer Elite SC-68 A/V Receiver HT Labs Measures

HT Labs Measures

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 144.5 watts
1% distortion at 191.6 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 92.3 watts
1% distortion at 138.8 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 90.0 watts
1% distortion at 113.8 watts

As you can see, the SC-68 dropped below 100 watts/ch even with 5ch driven.

Here's what you want to look for when buying a new amp or receiver/AVR. Full range FTC specs:

integraspec.jpg

This will be more accurate than the 1kHz spec. What you are not seeing here is the watts per channel with all channels driven. This may actually be the spec for that. They don't say. I always assume it is two channels driven when they don't come right out and say it.

Edited by mustang guy

Specs for the Yamaha RX-V1800 that I mentioned taken directly from Yamaha's website.

RMS Power (8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz) [THD] 130W x 7 [0.04%]

You can't always trust what you read.

That is full bandwidth alright, but does it mention "FTC" specs?  As I understand it, those standards are enforced. As I understand they are the only ones that are.

This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I hate the ratings on amplifier sections of AVRs. I always check to see if S&V has done a review on it and I can see the bench test results. It is amazing what an external amp for LCR speakers will do to free up the load on the amp. I had a Onkyo 3007 running my Ultra2s and added an Emotiva XPA-3 and that really opened up the system. There is no substitute for head room.