The City of Lost Children

justin_tx_16

Has ANYONE seen this movie?

B00000K3TS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Please explain it. We watched it tonight at my friends house (B&W speakers, yamaha amp, sony hdtv projection, mirage sub) and we were bewildered to say the least.

What were the French SMOKING when they made this movie?!

Synopsis

quote:

This visually inventive French sci-fi/fantasy tale began winning a cult following practically from the moment it was released. Krank (Daniel Emilfork) is a foul, monstrous creature who lords over the inhabitants of a small island; Krank's emotional being is every bit as ugly as his physical personage, largely because he does not have the ability to dream. However, he has developed a machine that can drain the dreams of others from their heads, and he devotes himself to kidnapping children from a nearby harbor town so that he can steal their pleasant dreams. Denree (Joseph Lucien) is one of the children who has been spirited off to the island; Krank discovers that he's an even bigger problem than he imagined when his big brother One (Ron Perlman), a harpoon-wielding mountain of a man, sets out on a rescue mission. Once he arrives on Krank's island, One encounters a brain in a fish tank that has learned to talk, a group of clones who can't decide who is the original, a pair of Siamese twins, an octopus that guides a group of orphaned thieves, and a girl named Miette (Judith Vittet) who says she can guide One to Denree. ~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide

Reviews

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000K3TS/qid=1027833880/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_4/103-2292678-7479832

Please if you have seen this, enlighten me haha. I somewhat enjoyed it... but OMG, what WERE they on?!

------------------

-justin

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

oh yeah, panasonic dvd player (not great, it digitized the frames sometimes... could be a bad dvd though)

the movie had some tube amps ontop of this brain inside of an aquarium that talked and.... yeah, it was a REALLY weird movie. Blows Toys WAY out of the water.

------------------

-justin

s>

my quick review of this movie...

All I can say about this movie? What the F*ck were the French on when they made this movie?

It was a crazy movie. I must say that the cinematography was quite impressive, and the special effects were no Apple G4's doings. That still does not qualify the queerness of the movie itself.

Here is the plot.

A French strong man's little brother (adopted) is stolen away from him by this cult of men who gouge their eyes out only to put in night vision gadgets and super hearing guns. Weird yet? I have not even gotten to the head inside the fish aquarium with a monochrome photo lens and tube amplifier on top...

Denree is the name of the little boy who is stolen, kidnapped if you will. One, the boy's brother, who can break himself out of metal chains, is in search of the boy. While he is escaping the Cyclopes (the plural of Cyclops is Cyclop-ees, just so you know, you don't say Cyclop-s) who have kidnapped Denree, One (which they say as One, in French that is Une, why do they speak his name in English?) runs (hey that rhymes, One runs hehe) into this tower full of children who hide him. Turns out they are thieves and are stealing from the tower which for some reason has a ton of money in it. The one eyed things dont see One so they leave, taking some of the money, all the money they think, with them.

The leader of the children is on hot momma err I mean a young girl named Miette. That is French for crumb if anyone did not know, and actually cared (I knew the French courses at Blinn College would come in handy one day).

While I am thinking about it here is the synopsis of the movie in French, since the movie was in French

!c etait un baiseur fou de mere d un film!

Excuse my French, only took one semester of it and it was in the summer

Yeah, so Crumb tries to get rid of One, but he wants their help to find his brother, Denree (which means Denree in French). Shenanigans occur and he ends up being employed by the octopus women/woman. The Octopus is a set of two Siamese twins that share a mind in a form. They have an orphanage where they make little boys and girls steal in order to have room and board.

This kind of stuff goes on and on we then get into the 4, no 5, no 4 + 1 original test tube boys/men with narcolepsy and their brother who is evil with no soul, their system who is in the shape of a bottle of French tonic water (how appropriate). Oh yeah, their father/not really father/knows everything, brain in a fish tank are trying to get the dreams of children since Krank can not dream since he does not have a soul. Santa Claus appears in this movie too many times to let me feel comfortable

They are taking the children, getting their dreams and then doing what have you with them. The Cyclopes steal the children in exchange for night vision and super hearing devices that look like the innards of a coo-coo clock with glass lenses

The glasses are just lenses with arbitrary gauges and hydraulics on them.

They catch Crumb and One (wow, that rhymes too) trying to recapture Denree (which means Denree just incase you forgot) and give him to this dude who was the owner of the octopus women/woman. He is told to catch the girl and the boy, kill the girl, save the man, One. He uses his super flea to screw up this Cyclopes and he saves One but leaves the girl, Crumb, Miette, to drown. One is very sad now.

Oh yeah, the guy who saves him is oddly enough Ones older brother! Yeah, who knew?

Remember the 4-5 clones? Well the head in the fish tank said that one was the original; however it is really another that is the original and that one saves Miette. He lives under the sea/swamp/sewer/whatever and was just happening by, under water, in a scuba suite and decides to collect her. He collects things.

Turns out he is the real original and was not narcoleptic so the French Tonic water bottle lady and the no soul having, dream wishing, Krank try to kill him. He survives and ends up having no to little memory.

The head in a fish tank with tube amplifiers on top of his tank convinces one of the clones is the original and makes him do this dream thing with a kid that looks JUST like Denree (means Denree in French, just FYI). What the brain that talks was really backing up the history hoping someone would save him and find the REAL original clone guy. It is launched into the water, well dropped into the water.

The original picks it up, unwittingly and learns the past, so does Miette (Crumb) and some other peeps. Crazy stuff. And then Denree and One find each other again and look like they are going to get their freaks on if you know what I mean. J Sorry to say, no skin in this flick, as far as we know.

We stopped the movie at about there.

After all this, I think I actually liked the movie, and I just may get it to finish it so I can say for sure what I though. I will say it was weird. But heck, ever been to France? Nuff said.

You know, I bet if you were on shrooms that this movie would totally rock! Wanna try? Haha.

Oh yeah, and One is Krank's older brother...

------------------

-justin

s>

(Should we just let Justin talk this one out amongst himself?)

There is a little button called "Edit"...but you probably wouldn't be an "Answering Machine" by now...

fini

EDIT (See?): The movie sounds intriguing...I'll have to rent it...ooh, la la!

This message has been edited by fini on 07-28-2002 at 10:17 AM

Justin, I tried telling people about this as well as many other cool movies and albums but noone listens to me. I guess I'm "that guy" who likes the "weird stuff". You people are truly missing out on some fine films. I haven't even seen one mention of the fantastic Amelie yet either. One of the best movies you will EVER see. Jeunet also directed Delicatessen which is mind blowing. Dominique Pinon(who played the clones from City...is great as the apartment complex handyman/hero). He even gave the Alien series a kick in the *** with Alien Resurrection. The French have always been smoking the killer. EVERYONE WATCH AMELIE!!!

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

This message has been edited by synthfreek on 07-28-2002 at 01:07 PM

synth-

I watch for your movie reccommendations as well as working my way through mdeneen's list, some really hot picks there. But you guys really need to warn when the lanuguage track may or may not be in English! I don't mind dubbed movies, put I really don't like to read my way through movies, it takes more effort than I am generally willing to put forth. I picked 2 of your picks by the LOLA german director, and neither have an english language track. I'll get around to reading them some day.

Anyway keep the suggestions comming, I LOVE strange movies. I can rent the mainstream stuff from Blockbuster.

Justin, I had to skip over your post because you started giving a complete blow by blow, and I might want to watch the flick..

Which brings me to, Does it have an English language track?

Linguistically Lacking,

Clucwm29.gif

clu, well then i take it you have yet to see "open your eyes" in subtitles spanish=>english. thing is you really have to tolerate thru this to get what was really in the original writer's mind in what then became the embellished Vanilla Sky. Wink.gif

also, have you seen "body double" yet. think you'd like that for some reason. funny yet very dark. steamy & no dreaming involved. just a few twists. cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

The only thing I find strange about what you have described in this movie is that I never noticed where the camera men were hiding when they were filming the documentary of my married life. Eyes.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

boa-

body double, I had one little concern. In one of the synopsis (hmmm how to pluralize) I read... "a killer with a giant power drill". I don't do gore well. Hell, I don't do gore at all. I still like it when the cowboys grasp their chest and simply fall of their horse.

reallythough you should be ok. Gore is dried blood. Hence the phrase Blood and Gore (Or was that Bill and Gore hehehe) to be gored is to be cut with a sharp pointed object opening a wound. all according to my medical dictionary thingy i inherited from my great grand father Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

s>

Sorry 'bout that Cluless. I guess I don't really think about that since I myself would rarely watch an English dub of a movie if I had the option. On a good note City of Lost Children does have a dub and if I'm not mistaken Ron Perlman actually overdubbed all of his own lines since he's obviously bilingual. FYI-Ron Perlman played Beast in the much loved Beauty and the Beast TV series. He was also in Enemy at the Gates and would surely be cast as the Cowardly Lion if there were to ever be an updated version of Wizard of Oz.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

synth-

thanks for the info... I tend to pick my media "poison" based on the level of dedication I am willing to give it at the time...Reading requires 95-100 percent effort...movies (no subtitles about 30-70 percent), music...whatever, but a movie with subtitles...hell I'd almost rather read the book (in english - tee hee)

How about these movies with Sub titles ?

Crimson Tide

The Hunt for Red October

Das Boot

U-571

Crash Dive

Run Silent Run Deep

And the newest one K-19: The Widowmaker

Damn the tortillas ! Seaweed ahead !

cwm4.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

i'm w/ clu on the subtitles. w/ "das boot" dvd i still used the english dubbed version after trying the subtitles for a short stint. they're just too much work unless you don't really want to watch the movie. or is this some acquired skill, like reading w/ a book on the steering wheel while driving? cwm4.gifcwm5.gif

clu, but w/ "open your eyes" all i concentrated on mostly were the subtitles. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-30-2002 at 01:35 AM