G-17 wifi stopped working after 2.5 years?

msbd1

Bought my G-17 back in late 2011. Worked great for two years without any set up issues. Now, for the past year, when I lose wifi "sync" with my system, the G-17 struggles to reconnect to my system. On power up, solid red for a second or two, fast blinking blue for minute or more, a "crackle" from the unit, maybe slow blinking purple for a few seconds (doesn't show up on wifi network), and then fast blinking purple for ever. Pressing wifi button doesn't do anything. In the past, with repeated power cycling, I could eventual get the slow blinking purple to actually to show up on wi-fi and finish link,but, alas, now it seems deaf and dumb to wifi. Paid $550 for this unit only to have it go brain dead after 2.5 years? Any body have this issue that figured out how to fix? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow Up by msbd.  I finally got things working.  The trick seemed to be to shut down any and all wi-fi devices in the house other than the G-17 and the wifi router itself.  This means everything - power down(unplug) phone, pads, TV's, all of it.  After a few deep power cycles of the G-17 (unplug and then plug back in) I got the slow purple.  Then, and only then, did I bring up my iPhone to use the Klipsch app to re-establish the wi-fi connection to the G-17.  While I was at it, I updated the firmware from 3.8.93.9700 (2011-10-30) to 3.8.97.9236 (2012-09-14) which is the latest.  Updating the firmware did NOT seem to improve connectivity issues.  I still had to shut down all wi-fi devices other than the G-17 to get a connection after the firmware update.  Once the G-17 has established a connection, you can turn on the rest of the wi-fi devices in the house.  G-17 doesn't seem to have any issues playing nice with other Wi-Fi devices, it only seems cranky when trying to do the initial wi-fi setup. I have been up without issue for three days at this point.

I did call Klipsch about a repair.  They do not service this unit themselves, but they gave me the name of a 3rd party repair shop:

Sybesma’s Electronics
     581 Ottawa Ave
     STE 100
     Holland, MI 49423
     1-800-456-4265

I called Sybesma and they seemed very nice.  Write a check for $50 and send it in the unit with a note explaining the issue and they will call with a quote.  They keep the $50 if you say no to the service, but the $50 goes to the repair price if you agree to the service.  I have no idea if they pay for return shipping out of the original $50 if you say no to the repair. Pretty standard, but a gamble. I was told that they have not done many (any?) G-17 repairs so could not give me even a range of possible prices for repair.  This encouraged me to try one last time to get the thing working.

This is not a random question; has there been any changes to your wireless internet lately?  Also, please check to see if your wi-fi router has its firmware up-to-date.  You can access the firmware via your browser it as if it were an internet site.  If you don't know how let me know and I'll post a how-to.

My home system has been stable for about 3 years.  Then one day, I had all kinds of connection issues.  It seems Suddenlink had upgraded my internet speed from 15 to 50 Mbps without telling me, but for technical reasons it put stress on my connectors.  The Suddenlink tech replaced some connectors near my router, cable modem, and on the pole near my house.  Believe it or not, problem solved.  I also found out my router was at least three major revisions out-of-date.

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but it pays to check, and don't assume what the problem is.

+++

That issue was also discussed on this forum previously.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/145991-g-17-connection-problem/

Edited by wvu80

• 2 years later...

Mine also stopped working completely after about 2.5 years.  It had network glitches the whole time I have owned it, but now it is just a big paperweight.  When I turn it on, it shows a red light then rapidly flashes blue for about a minute or two, then it flashes purple forever.  It never shows up on my network, and I can't change the inputs (I was hoping I could use it as a wired speaker instead).   Customer service said I needed to send it to some company in Michigan.  I called that company, and the rep said it would cost $200 to repair it.  I bought a B&W Z2 to replace it instead.  Now I want to still try and use the G-17 as a wired speaker by switching the input mode, but because the unit is frozen, and flashing, it seems I can't even do that.  I have another set of Klipsh speakers (wired) and Klipsh headphones.  I grew up in a Klipsh family.  My father had a pair of Heresies and my (richer) uncle had a pair of Klipshchorns.  The G-17 is not a shining moment for this great company.  It is the Cadillac Cimarron of the audio world.