Side speakers & ATMOS ceiling speakers

LordShadda

Hi Everyone,

I'm building a new house with a dedicated theatre room, this is my first home theatre build so I really wouldn't have a clue so I'm flying blind I guess.

I have just purchased a 5.1 RF-82 II package. It has the RS-52 II as the surround speakers, now I'm looking at adding a set of side speakers to take it to 7.1

The speakers I'm looking at for the sides are the Icon KS-14. I was hoping you guys maybe able to give me a bit of feedback on whether that's the right thing to do?

I'm also looking at putting in ceiling speakers to utilise ATMOS, I've had the room wired up to take either 2 or 4. (7.1.2 or 7.1.4). To achieve this in looking at the Onkyo 1030 or 3030. Can you guys also suggest suitable speakers to use for this? I'm not sure whether they need to be something fantastic or not.

Thanks guys and I look forward to your valuable feedback :)

I would stick to using all Reference line speakers even though the Icon would be fine in that role.  Depending on room size, I would wire for the 7.x.4  to save  having to add on to a 7.x.2.  With that said, I am of the camp that you need enough space between speakers to hear the spatial cues and if the room is to small, the sound will be congested and the benefit of the extra surround speakers will be lost or greatly diminished.

I did wire 7.x.4 for that reason, so I've at least got the option to go either way.

My room is 6 metres long by 4 metres wide. I've got a 5 seater lounge running across the back wall (4 metre wall) on a raised tier and a 4 seater lounge in front of it on the floor level. The front row would be about 3.5 metres back from the projector screen.

Would a 7.x.4 work with these dimensions? Or should I stick with 7.x.2? Like you said with sound congestion I don't want to ruin it with overkill. I wanted to even make sure, is the room big enough to have the sides (7.x)?

Thank you mate.

By the way, welcome to the forum.  Unless you are in an apartment, most HT's should have a sub.  Due to the lack of movies and forum members using Dolby Atmos, we can only make general recommendations and you can experiment.  Please share your thoughts on using Atmos once you have it up and running.

Thank you for the welcome:)

Oh I definitely have a sub, just trying to decide whether to have a second one after its setup.

My biggest concern is, will the room be big enough for the side speakers??

I will def keep posted on the ATMOS setup.

Thank you for the welcome:)

Oh I definitely have a sub, just trying to decide whether to have a second one after its setup.

My biggest concern is, will the room be big enough for the side speakers??

I will def keep posted on the ATMOS setup.

I would suggest another set of RS-52IIs or a set of RS-42IIs for your rears. Currently my setup is the following:

2 RF-82IIs Fronts

1 RC-62II Center

2 RS-62IIs Side Surround

2 RS-42IIs Rear Surround

2 RB-61IIs Front Wides

4 RS-52IIs Top Front and Top Rear (Atmos setup on 15 foot ceilings)

1 SVS PB12-Plus Sub

The best I can come up with for Atmos is: 

http://www.klipsch.com/CDT-5800-C-II

Basically an 8" coax that matches the Reference II's, and can be tilted.  There is even a preconstruction bracket/enclosure that you can attach to the bare studs/trusses.  Even if you didn't have it at first, you can install the enclosure and prewire for easy adoption later.  Should be perfect for overhead Atmos.  Unfortunately I finished building a year and a half ago and Atmos wasn't exactly on everybody's minds during the building process, otherwise I would have installed those enclosures.