Integrating a 3rd sub

Earle Decker

I just picked up a SVS 25-31PCi for a great price and am trying different ways of integrating it into my HT.

My HT consists of Klipsch KG 5.2(mains),4.2(surrounds),2.2v(center),and KSB 3.1(rears). The other subs are a pair of SVS 20-39cs original drivers.

I use a Denon 3802 as my receiver and a Acurus A250 amp to power the mains. I also use a old Pioneer 8500 integrated amp to power the surrounds. Center and rear channels are powered by the receiver.

I have a Sony CE775 SACD player and an Outlaw ICBM.

All speakers are set to small. Denon xover to 80 hz.

I currently just split the subout again and went to the 25-31 input. This way sounds good, but I was thinking(I know dangerous thing to do) that if I go from the L/R outs on the 775 and went directly to the Denon's L/R multi channel input, bypassing the ICBM for the mains only, this would open up the ICBM's L/R input/outputs.

Now in multi channel music the mains are running full range, and the other speakers are still being run by the ICBM's xovers and the 20-39's are taking the multichannel subout and the redirected bass from the surround and center channels. This is only during CD listening.

Then I could split the L/R preouts on the Denon and one of the L/R pairs could go to the Inputs on the ICBM and then to the Acurus. And the other set of L/R preouts could go to the L/R inputs on the 25-31. This way the mains are HP, yet the sub gets a full range signal feed to it. Then I it would just be a matter of blending the subs xover/phase to best mate with the 5.2's. Of coure I would set the mains to large in set up menu on the 3802. All other speakers would be keep at the small setting.

Would this induce any odd phase problems or really screw up SACD playback?

As yu can see just typing this a confusing so I dont want to so this if there will be a obvious problem.

Or should I just split the preouts on the Denon and run a set of RCA's to the subs inputs. Then set the mains to large in the set up menu.

Thanks

Earle

BUMP.

I am not sure, can someone help him?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Well, I think I'm gonna go with keeping all speakers set to small and put all three subs up front behind the right front speaker.

Now for the next dilema. I like the new driver in the PCi so much, im thinking of replacing the drivers

in my original 20-39's. I figure with 3 of the new drivers getting 300 watts each my HT should pound like never before.

Of course, If I sell the 20-39's I could get a 16-46PCi and that paired with the 25-31PCi would really pound too.

Thoughts...

Earle

• 2 weeks later...

For placement you made the right call. Have you got an EQ yet? That should be your next priority to even out any room induced peaks.

As for your last question I'd get the new drivers and enquire to SVS about getting a longer port for the 25-31 to retune it to 22hz.