Sub woofer installation question

barch

I recently picked up a second sub.  It was a freebie KSW-10.  Well I hooked it up using the Line IN connection and did not get much out of it.  The manual stated to split the signal and use both line in(s).  This help but not much.

Mind you I am new to this speaker stuff.  Well I decided to hook it up to the L and R front speaker output of my receiver to the L and R inputs.  Well, that changed everything.  This sub came to life.  Has anyone experienced this?

I kind of like the way the low pass filter actually has more affect on the output of the sub now.  

I guess what I am asking is do most of you connect  your sub using just the sub out (on the receiver) to the Line in (LFE) on the sub or do you hook up to the Front L/R speakers (receiver) to the L/R on the sub?

Thanks,

barch

Edited by barch

Most of us use the sub connection on the avr or pre-amp.  When connecting to the subwoofer, using the L and R input should help.  You may need to turn the gain up on the subwoofer and the gain up in the avr.  Run autocalibration and see what the sub trim is set at.

Well I decided to hook it up to the L and R front speaker output of my receiver to the L and R inputs.  Well, that changed everything.  This sub came to life.  Has anyone experienced this?   I kind of like the way the low pass filter actually has more affect on the output of the sub now.  

When you hook your sub to the left/right preouts of the receiver, you would be using the low pass filter on board the subwoofer and bypassing the receiver's low pass filter(LFE).  If the low pass filter on the KSW-10 is set to 120Hz, then that would explain the output difference.  Set at 40Hz, then less overall output.

klipsch_ksw10_panel.jpg

Bill 

Barch... What it depends on is what receiver you have.

Can you share that with us?

Out of curiosity, what is the original sub you have?

YAMAHA HTR-4066, with RPW-10 sub and I am trying to add this KSW-10 to it. I tested the KSW-10 by itself (1 RCA jack to the LFE) up exactly the same as my RPW-10 (RCA to LFE jack) and the output is about 1/10 the sound. this is with the gain all the way up at 11.

So are you saying is that the RCA jack only do 40 Hz. Maybe it was the song I was using at the time. I have a movie going to see if it functions with the lower frequencies. I have just the KSW-10 hooked up at this time.

Earlier I watched a movie with both hooked up (KSW-10 high pass) and (RPW-10 RCA LFE) and it worked great.

Edited by barch

The sub works using the RCA jacks.  I tested it by itself and things appear to be working very well.  I guess I need to test things a little better before questioning things.  I kind of like the ability of using the Front R/L channels as the input and being able to set the high pass filter to a range that I like.   

Thanks for the help everyone.

Barch

No problem. You should turn the lowpass on the sub itself all the way up or turn it off completely, since your YAMAHA HTR-406 is providing the low pass filter before it gets to the sub.

Your KSW-10 specs are 29Hz-120Hz(+-)3dB

Your RPW-10 specs are 35-120Hz +/-3dB

Those are great subs for just about any kind of music, but for movies, they are a bit lacking. Frequently in action movies and their ilk, there is LFE between 20 and 30Hz.

Both are 110db efficiency, and I think they might play well together in the same system. It would help smooth out the dead spots in the room from room modes to have 2 subs, for sure.