Bi-wiring K-horns

jstanton

Does anybody have any experience with bi-wiring K-Horns? I bi-wired mine a while back by having one set of speaker wires going to the woofer (the lower set of connecting posts on the K-Horn, through the supplied fuse) and ran a second set of wires from the amp DIRECTLY to the crossover, bypassing the jumper/fuse connection it would have normally had. Is this cool or should I put a fuse in line before the crossover for protection?

------------------

32" Hi-scan Sony WEGA

Amp: Yamaha DSPA1

Mains: '99 K-horns

Center: KLF-C7 & JBL S- Center

Front Effects: KSP-S6s

Rear Surrounds: KLF-30s

Sub: KSW-15

DVD: Pioneer DV-114

MD: Sony Mini-Disc

Recorder (Walkman)

VCR: JVC S-VHS

Overall, I'd say to use a fuse. You can review reports on the forum from people suffering from blown drivers. It might not save your cookies, but you'll kick yourself around the block if worse comes to worse, and there is no fuse.

If you read closely, it seems that a lot of the problems stem from abuse or overenthusiasm. It is easy to do. One of our moderators pointed out a possible cause. The speakers are very clean at high levels, so people tend to push things.

There are several schools of thought. PWK once wrote that he thought drivers failed from overheating. But then he found that at least some had been mechanically torn apart. The moderator mentioned an incident where the driver melted down. (Must have been one of non Heritage plastic units.)

There are complicating factors. 100 watts amps are common. The electronics have great dynamic range (CD and DVD) and recordings exploit that. E.g. Telarc has a warning on some of their CDs. I suspect that some movie sound tracks exploit the dynamic range to give a sucker punch during explosions.

There is no substitute for being responsible.

Some people say that even a fast blow fuse will not act quickly enough. Perhaps not always, but we see reports recently of fuses blowing. This indicates they do act.

Some people claim that the very minute resistance caused by the fuse has a negative impact on sound. I don't believe that. The voice coil resistance, much higher, dominates the circuit qualities.

Maybe the best description is that a fuse is like a seat belt. Don't rely on it as an excuse to do anything stupid. But it might help in the case of the unanticipated.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-01-2002 at 07:54 PM

Thanks for the info Gil. I get the point. I reckon I'll mosey on down to the local Radio Shack and rustle me up some connections to hook some fuses to my 12 gauge and the K-Horns. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks

------------------

32" Hi-scan Sony WEGA

Amp: Yamaha DSPA1

Mains: '99 K-horns

Center: KLF-C7 & JBL S- Center

Front Effects: KSP-S6s

Rear Surrounds: KLF-30s

Sub: KSW-15

DVD: Pioneer DV-114

MD: Sony Mini-Disc

Recorder (Walkman)