6N9P, EL34, 53ZP Tubes

Jim

I am curious as to what brands are better than others when it comes to tubes. I just purchased a tube amp which is a Chinese name brand and it sounds nice, but I'd like to know what brands of tubes would be an upgrade to these "Chinese" brands. I do see that there are different tubes for the 6N9P (6N9S,6SL7GT) and the EL34, but which brand tubes would everyone recommend,and will I get better sound quality or a wider sound field from them? I'm sure their is some type of difference, but what IS THAT difference? Is it a warmer sound? Brighter? The amp is entry level and was too cheap to pass up, and is my 1st, so I'd like to know what if any upgrades can be done just on the basis of tubes. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Jim, as mentioned in your other post, I believe the weak link here is the output transformers and not the tubes.  Keep in mind that a particular tube which may exhibit certain sonic characteristics in, say, a Scott amp may not do the same in yours.  There are too many variables which we are unaware of such as whether the amp uses any negative feedback, the voltages at which the tubes are being used, and the impedance/inductance/capacitance of the output transformers.  There's no harm in trying but, as Mark said above, the cost of such experimentation can go up quickly (especially with NOS tubes).  A better option may be to use it for the duration of the return period, and then send it back and buy something better.  If you add the cost of trying new tubes to the cost of the amp, it may turn out less costly to just go for something better.

Maynard

I wasn't sure if the sound quality can be increased or not. And I'm definitely not looking to spend hundreds of $$$$$ on an amp I paid less than $200.00 on. I would have definitely gone with a more expensive amp in the beginning. I'm just curious if different tubes will give a more fuller or richer sound than the Chinese versions of what I have. I can already see the bigger tower speakers are going to be needed. I still have to hook them up to the RF's in the living room. I've already tried on the book shelfs and they don't sound that good from more than 6 feet out. I had them hooked up to the KSB 1.1's, KEF iQ3, KLH Bookshelf, the ICON KB-15's and the KF-28's. The 28's sound the best so far, but I still need to try the RF-25's. The sound stage is wider and does seem to change the more I listen to music, but it definitely doesn't have the depth the Carver amp I listened to does. I didn't expect it to either. Worst case if I do keep the amp, I will use it on my computer with a set of book shelfs. It definitely sounds better than what I have on there now.

Edited by Jim