Klipsch Promedia 4.1 vs. Logitech Z-560 ( my experience, does anybody agree.... )

hello everyone, recently i was planning to upgrade my PC speakers, i had a choice between Klipsch Promedia 4.1 or Logitech Z-560 system. I had previously listened to the PM2.1s only. Luckily i got a chance to listen to the Z-560s in a store nearby, i was not impressed at all. The sound was very hollow and it lacked the clarity that i heard even on my PM 2.1s. I was shocked when i heard the system, i turned all the equalizers off ( media player 8.0, not winamp ) and adjusted the knobs on the control pod but nothing helped. I also noted that the mid-range was significantly recessed. I do admit that the Z-560s are a bit louder and have more bass ( than PM4.1s ), but i would never ever exchange them for even my Promedia 2.1s. They simply don't sound good enough. So i made my choice, PM 4.1s. I just wanted to know if anybody else also felt the same ?.

i must agree with you i had a set of Pro 4.1s but after three defective sets i got my money back and got the Z560s. dont get me wrong the Z560s are good but sometimes the sound that comes out of the Z560s sound hollow as the person stated above. The Z560s have more bass but sometimes to much bass can make a song sound horrible if you know what i mean. Im just kind of bummed out that i got 3bum sets of Promedia 4.1s but then again i got them last december from bestbuy. I do miss the distinct sound that klipsch hasSmile.gif So i totally agree with you on the hollow soundSmile.gif

hmm, problems with 3 sets. I also bought the PM 4.1s from Bestbuy but i'll be using them in Pakistan. They're working great for now, i just hope i don't run into any problems at home. My previous set only had a scratchy volume control but thats all. Can anyone tell me what is the approximate probability that i'll run into problems with my set in future, provided it is working perfectly right now.

Hi Bohemian_Rhapsody,

Whatever you buy between these 2 products, just make sure that there will be a good support for them. If you end up using them where there is no good support or warranty, you'll be frustrated when the problems start.

My sub started to distort horribly sometime in October 2001. The dealer here in Melbourne, Australia got them replaced in 2 weeks and they worked without disappointing me since then. But to make sure that they are trouble free, I placed a small portable fan that cools the backplate of the sub everytime I use it. The sub does not even get warm and each time I finish listening to them, I switch it off and unplug them from the power outlet.

Yes, you normally do not have to go through all these rituals but for me, its a small trade-off for the quality and loudness that I have been enjoying.

You are right in saying that a PC sound system doesn't sound good in the open.

I have tested my PM 2.1s in the auditorium ( no walls within 50 feet around the system )and they sounded pretty good, ofcourse i didn't hear the loudest voice but they surely sounded crisp and clear ( and not hollow ) even in the open ( as compared to what i heard on Z-560s ).

I am planning to do exactly what glennbarn is doing, i'll buy a small fan to ventilate the back of the woofer and unplug them every night before sleeping.

As far as running into problems is concerned, i am taking a chance here and i hope i have the same experience with my 4.1s as i had with my 2.1s.