Single Servo-15 or single SVS CS-Ultra

pierceb

OK,

I've can now just about afford to make a sub purchase and have basically narrowed my decision down to two choices, a Servo-15, or a single CS-Ultra (the WAF and pocketbook will only allow for one Ultra).

The sub will serve duty with complete Reference 7 system and Denon 3802. My current room dimension are 14' by 16' with a large opening on one wall. Ultimately my HT room will be about 14' by 24' once some house renovations have been done. My system is currently used for about 50% music and 50% theater.

What do you guys think. I can get a Servo-15 for about $1700CAN, and a single CS-Ultra (with Samson amp) for about $2100CAN. All prices include taxes and shipping. Unfortunately, the SVS seems to get more expensive as each day passes (due to our sinking dollar), and I can't really afford anything over $2000CAN.

What does everybody think? Right now I can go pick up a Servo-15 in-stock, and it is cheaper, however I'm worried I may be disappointed. Is there anybody here with a Servo-15 in their system? If so, how do they like it?

-PB

Paradigm Servo-15 is a great buy,clean,defined and should have plenty of output unless you are like me and need wall twisting sub bass.

At $1700 Canadian the Servo-15 is a great deal go for it.Its like a HGS15 with less output.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Well, a Servo-15 is in now the house. My local dealer allowed me to take the demo model home for the weekend. If I like it, I get a new one including X30 crossover for 1450CAN. Pretty good deal as far as I'm concerned. I will be setting up today with different room placements, etc. Any advice on setting this thing up with Denon 3802 and X30 crossover would be greatly appreciated.

I guess my first question is should I use the Speaker Level Inputs and High Pass Out to Satellites (i.e. run the speaker wire through the crossover) on the X30, or should I just run the sub output from the 3802 into the X30, then line out from the X30 to the sub?

Because these are loaners, they didn't come with manuals and my dealer is now closed for a couple of days.

-PB

Great

Now the Paradigm X30 can cut the bass(at 50/80/120)from the mains(if you use the high pass)outs on the back.

With the Denon 3802 or any bassic reciever you get a 80Hz cutoff if you set speakers to SMALL.This said I would not even use X30 to cut the bass out.Unless used it in a two channel system to cut the sats at 50Hz.

Set the mains and other speaker you have to SMALL and the sub at 80Hz.

Should work well

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks Ears,

Yeh, I haven't used the X30 yet. I'm just flirting with room placement right now, with the Denon cut at 80hz and it seems to work OK. Another question, how does the Servo-15 perform say between 40 and 80 hz? It seems to me that it might be missing something in this range (regardless of room placement).

I do think I found what is close to optimum placement as far as output goes, and that is in the rear corner beside the listening position (although the placement here is VERY sensitive to proximity to the walls, if too close to the walls, the bass gets boomy). Unfortunately, all room against the front wall is spoken for, and the side walls don't work.

Now, if I could stop my windows from rattling (not a new problem, my RF-7's did a good job of that too).

-PB

The rattle problem is a serious one on most systems(when pushed).

I changed all doors in my place,now the two rooms housing my large suytems have entrance style doors in place of the cardboard doors most have in their homes.

Each roor cost me almost $350,plus a good $100 for the locks(not talking about the install).Frames were also redone to support the extra door weight.

I have rubber insulation all around the doors,its a tight fit.No more shaking and buzzing.The rooms also have a few acoustic absorbtion pannels.

The most important component in a sound system is the room itself.Second the power conditioners to supply clean power to all amps/preamps and digital gear.

TheEAR(s) Now theears