Subwoofer for LaScalas?

boatman

I used an REL Storm with my La Scalas. I thought it worked very well.

In MY system in MY room with MY setup at MY volume levels.

Whether you are happy with La Scalas and any particular subwoofer is going to depend to a great deal on how you listen, what you listen to, what you're expecting, how big your room is and maybe other factors. And my experience has been that there's no way to predict how a sub is going to sound in your room until you put it in your room.

The REL Storm blended very well, extending the bass of the system down into the lowest octave. It does not have anything like the ultimate output capability of the La Scala, which was okay with me because I didn't play them at concert hall levels very often. The REL is also not a sub with a huge amount of "slam".

Subs people on this board are happy with include various SVS models, the Klipsch RSW line, the Sunfire subs, REL, Velodyne and (in one or two cases Smile.gif ) the VMPS Larger subwoofers. These all have different strengths and weaknesses. If you spend some time poking about in older threads, you'll find lengthly, er, discussions regarding the various brands that might give you some insight into their differences. Also, if you could note in this thread what you're usual listening habits are (type of music, volume level) and what you setup and room are like we might be able to give you some additional tips.

If you have a dealer who carries a fair sampling of different brands who will work with you, I'd try bringing home a few models and trying them out.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I sincerely appreciate the responses to my inquiry about finding a subwoofer for my LaScalas. Living in somewhat isolated northern Ontario makes it hard to know what to look for without the benefit of a nearby dealer with a range of products to see and hear, let alone bring home for a trial.

I will definitely investigate SEL subs and the newer Klipsch subs. My travels will take me to Toronto and Montreal in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I will find time to look up some audio shops that will give me a chance to hear the speakers suggested.

Thanks again!

Boatman if you pass by Montreal be sure not to miss Filtronique SonOr.This is THE store in Montreal for all things REL,Krell,Dunlavy.They carry SimAudio(MOON),B&W,Wadia,YBA and many more High-End products one of the best High-End places in Montreal.

Plenty of other great places for audio too,like Audio Centre(Wilson Audio...Grand SLAMM too!,Mark Levinson,Codell Audio(The DYNAUDIO dealer in Montreal,they carry ),Radio-St Hubert(The Klipsch, SUNFIRE, Monitor Audio store,tiny but has some great stuff),Studio 1006,Kebecson(JBL Sythesis,JBL Ti-K and more)..and I could go on and on.Oh and AudioVille(PMC,JM Lab,CJ,Totem,Bryston).

These stores carry gear audiophile(compulsive buyer)dreams are made of.You can spend a fortune and still want more,damn the audio bug.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 08-06-2002 at 12:26 PM

I too have a pair of La Scala's and run the little KSW 12 with them. Most folks think the La Scala's don't have much in the way of bottom end. However they are quite good down low and my little sub helps smooth out the lower end. Keep in mind your room and placement of both the La Scala's and the sub will really make a difference in the overall low end you achieve. Experiment with placement of your La Scala's and try to get them into a corner.

Good Luck!

My home theater page

http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)