Kenzie Headphone amp new system heights :)

joessportster

You can Look up my previous threads if you want I just felt the need to highlight what I feel is another asset when It comes to the Kenzie Headphone amp by ampsandsound / Justin Weber

I decided I wanted too try the tub rolling phenom, I will start by saying I have never found tube rolling to offer enough improvement to make it a worth while endeavor for MY EARS it has been extremely subtle changes at best

Since I seem to be able to hear further into the music with headphones I thought I would give the Kenzie a shot at some minimal rolling, I contacted Justin to discuss rolling and in his opinion only the 12sl7gt showed any favorable results. following his advice I tried vintage RCA, Tung-sol, and GE tubes and to be honest heard no appreciable differences. In comes the 60's Raytheon 2c52 I read on another forum of darling builders who tried to keep this tube under wraps in an attempt to keep the $$$ low. (As most of us know when a tubes reputation excels so does its price)

These builders felt the Raytheon was a sleeping giant when used in the darling circuit,

10.00 delivered from ebay and instantly sonics improved, more air better clarity very nice tone. The Raytheon has remained since plugged and frankly I have no desire to roll further, So what about those beautiful 1626's I know Justin said they were not worth rolling but I need a couple pair of backups so why not give different brands a shot !!!!!!!

found a pair of 40's Ken-Rad, Tung-Sol, & Mil.spec Hytron from 1943, the ken rad and tung sol's were very much like the RCA that were in the amp to begin

Mean while I trade my dac and end up with a tube dac the MHDT Havana concentrating on the tube in it for a bit I try the 3 I already had GE, Rca, and a 1950's vintage GE, Reading on another forum the Raytheon windmill getter 5670 is HIGHLY regarded, I found one and It was definitely the best of the 4 (note to self STOP READING ABOUT AUDIO GEAR AND TUBES  :wacko: )

at this point I am pretty happy with things only 1 bothersome aspect when I play something a bit up paces I seem to get a tad of grain which is annoying to say the least, My music tastes are 90 percent acoustic singer songwriter, folk, rock jazz, blues and the set up is VERY VERY GOOD with my generally preferred music.

BUT

When the urge to turn up the pace hits it is annoying that some of the selections take on a grainy edge, and that for ME takes away from my enjoyment and instantly puts me into upgrade mode (not a good place to be especially when you are perpetually broke)

Wait I still have the Hytrons from 1943, Soooooo In they go and Bang everything just seems to straighten right up. The Grain is MUCH MUCH better  I am officially out of upgrade mode and in Idiotic Grin Mode 

So I stumbled on my now preferred tube set Kenzie = Hytron vintage 1626, D Foil getter, & Raytheon 2c52,  MHDT Havanna = Raytheon windmill getter..........

COLOR ME HAPPY  :D 

Why this new thread, I just had to share my joy can not be helped 

PS I OWE MY CURRENT MUSICAL JOY TO THE FINE FOLK ON THIS FORUM, (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE ) I AM SO APPRECIATIVE 

THANK YOU ALL :wub: