Crossover settings

TJIann

I'm running Cornwall IIs as my mains and Heresys as rears listening in "enhanced stereo mode" (i.e., running same signal front and back, also have a Heresy as a center and a Klipsch subwoofer).  In setting up and calibrating the speakers I have set the crossover frequency to 50 for them all.  My Outlaw Audio (preamp) manual suggests ~10 above the low end of the frequency range (i.e., 38 for the speakers).  What's folks opinions/experience on this? 

Thanks..

Tim

Edited by TJIann

I have gone back and forth in my own configuration with my LaScala setup and an Integra preamp, and I set my cutoff at 50 for them. Any higher than that, and they didn't hit bass hard enough for my taste.  Now a LaScala is already rolled off by 4db at 53hz naturally. Adding more roll off higher than that seems wrong anyway. It really doesn't matter, it didn't sound right, and that's what it's all about.

PS: I don't think 50 is right for a Cornwall II.  Sounds good for a Heresy.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

I'm not familiar with the Outlaw preamp... But unless you are forced to use the same crossover frequency for all of your speakers, I'd set the Cornwalls a bit lower (at least 40Hz, maybe even 35Hz) to take advantage of their output. Even setting them to "large" and running them full range for music would be fine.

As Mustang Guy mentioned, 50Hz would be a good frequency for the Heresy.

You only mentioned the "enhanced stereo mode". But if you are also listening to movie soundtracks (Dolby Digital or True HD) at relatively loud volumes. You might consider bumping the center Heresy crossover to 60Hz, since there is so much content in those channels.

For just music, you could even set them all to large and run all 5 channels at full range to see what it sounds like. At "normal" volumes it's not going to hurt anything to try it out.

In the end, what sounds best to your ears in your room is what counts.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with the Outlaw preamp... But unless you are forced to use the same crossover frequency for all of your speakers, I'd set the Cornwalls a bit lower (at least 40Hz, maybe even 35Hz) to take advantage of their output. Even setting them to "large" and running them full range for music would be fine.

As Mustang Guy mentioned, 50Hz would be a good frequency for the Heresy.

You only mentioned the "enhanced stereo mode". But if you are also listening to movie soundtracks (Dolby Digital or True HD) at relatively loud volumes. You might consider bumping the center Heresy crossover to 60Hz, since there is so much content in those channels.

For just music, you could even set them all to large and run all 5 channels at full range to see what it sounds like. At "normal" volumes it's not going to hurt anything to try it out.

In the end, what sounds best to your ears in your room is what counts.

Thanks guys.  I do have all 5 speakers set to large and they sound awesome in the "Enhanced Stereo" mode.  While I do use this as a 5.1 system for Blu Ray as well, I am much more focused on music.  The preamp does allow me to set each speaker individually, so I'll try the Cornwall's down at 40.  Really appreciate the insights and experiences!

• 2 weeks later...

Based on my experience, and common placement for center and rear channel speakers, I'd set the Heresies at 70 to 80 Hz and the Cornwalls at 50 Hz, if they are back in your corners, 60+ if not.  You will need what is considered an AWESOME subwoofer if you only have one, say over 600 watts and 15" or larger. 

http://www.klipsch.com/rsw-15-subwoofer/details

http://www.klipsch.com/R-115SW/details

VMPS Larger Subwoofer (passive, 92dB/w/m, f3=16Hz)

vmpssub.jpg