Can I feed a Double bass bin Cornscala with a basic receiver no Bi?

Karsoncookie

Right on! The R-8 is absolutely just fine. Im a kind of til the wheels fall off kind of guy. It was about 4 years ago I told a friend I want no more amps. then about maybe a month later he stopped by and I had a couple more.  

About a year later a divorce. Good thing to be honest but amps and speakers built a vault between her and I. Led to a new lady which led to many more speakers and amps. Its a wonderful thing around here to read and see everything everybody is buying and what they like about things. On top of that so much is klipsch derived.

Anyhow i'd sure like to see what you think once your stacks are done. Iv heard a couple and think the stacks you are putting together could be a real champ.

• Like 1

Good info. Makes sense. Thanks all.

Beeker - Thanks for the FYI re: pre outs. I never noticed that.

I assume you mean the RCA's marked"Accessory" with jumpers between the "Send" an "Receive"??

So I'd pull the jumpers, "Send" to a power amp and leave the "Receive"'s unconnected. Yes? Lars

Yes. The "send" rca's will provide pre-out's from your receiver. Hook the "send rca's" to a power amp then speaker wires to the preamp.

EDIT:TYPO. AMP not pre

Not trying to rain on your parade... but if the jumper is marked "accessory", it may simply be a fixed, line level "tape loop". They were provided so that you could insert an equalizer or other sound modifier into the signal path.

Problem is, unlike a true pre-out/amp-in jumper, the voltage level passing through the jumpers is fixed and would NOT change when the volume control is used.

So, if you do use them, take some precaution... Because you may end up sending a signal through the amp/speakers that is essentially "volume turned ALL the way up".

Edited by GPBusa
  • Like 1

Good info. Makes sense. Thanks all.

Beeker - Thanks for the FYI re: pre outs. I never noticed that.

I assume you mean the RCA's marked"Accessory" with jumpers between the "Send" an "Receive"??

So I'd pull the jumpers, "Send" to a power amp and leave the "Receive"'s unconnected. Yes? Lars

Yes. The "send" rca's will provide pre-out's from your receiver. Hook the "send rca's" to a power amp then speaker wires to the preamp.

EDIT:TYPO. AMP not pre

Not trying to rain on your parade... but if the jumper is marked "accessory", it may simply be a fixed, line level "tape loop". They were provided so that you could insert an equalizer or other sound modifier into the signal path.

Problem is, unlike a true pre-out/amp-in jumper, the voltage level passing through the jumpers is fixed and would NOT change when the volume control is used.

So, if you do use them, take some precaution... Because you may end up sending a signal through the amp/speakers that is essentially "volume turned ALL the way up".

I wondered but was sure I had hooked an amp up to a big silver 70's Yamaha receiver that had the same jumpers and marked the same way as accessory.

Good catch. I was going to mention or post a pic(I cannot post pics on this new forum format)to see what anybody else said if they were pre outs for an amplifier or not. They are marked accessory and in the input section of the receiver so I am surely wrong.

Sorry man if I jumped the gun. Glad this thread is getting good attention. I want to say try running the speakers straight from the receiver speaker wire leads? 4ohms would be pushing it but I have seen much worse. It may end up actually only be pulling 5-6ohms in the end. I really doubt below 4 ohms which below 4ohms would be too low.

Originally, not being familiar with the Yamaha mentioned in this post, I was basing my response on a Pioneer SX-3800 that I have. It does have a pair of pre-out/amp-in jumpers and they're labeled that way.  And not as "accessory" jacks.

I then went back in the thread and realized that an owners manual had been posted and read through it. On page 7 it mentions the "accessory" jacks as being used to add an equalizer (see attached screen shot)... but nothing about being able to drive an outboard amplifier.

So I'd guess you can't use them to drive an amp as mentioned earlier.  But, if you do decide to try, then please take care to protect whatever you hook up to those jacks.

post-12390-0-73080000-1423833133_thumb.j

Edited by GPBusa

When I was younger I definitely pushed some receivers to the max. Now days with the money spent on receivers, amps and speakers its just not worth even possibly damaging anything.

I have seen others push gear to the limit beyond what I ever imagined.

Not trying to suggest going for it because a working quad k33 set is a good $400+

I would say hold on and grab a pre&amp. Anything that works. Watch for an adcom pre and snag a crown xls or a qsc or who knows for anywhere from $50 to $100 or so. Iv bought 2 different adcom preamps for $75. The one guy offered to sell the one for less, both with remotes. About 2 years ago I bought a basically brand new crown xls402 for $75. Bought a real nice rebuilt bgw750 for $40. And so many more. Anything pre that functions well with pre outs then a 4ohm pro power amp