Epic Series CF-3 port lengths

ka7niq

I bought a used set of CF-3 speakers, and Was told by klipsch the ports were 3 and 6 inches long in these speakers.

Them ones I got only have the black flange, so I got some bigger pvc, cut it to be 6 inches long pvc cemented it in and screwed up the bass .

I guess it should have made it 6 inches total.

It is over 7 inches because I didnt allow for the thickness of the front baffle.

I need to correspond with someone who actually has CF speakers, or knows how this is done.

I overdamped the bass, and since I used pvc cement, its going to be hard to get it out w/o destroying the flange !

I dont want to keep removing the woofers to do this!

One slip of the screwdriver and the Neo woofers are history.

Klipsch dont have any more, so if woofer goes, speakers are history!

I liked the Speakers much better before, even with too short ports.

The bass was fat and taut.

Now its dead and lifeless, and sounds bad.

Any CF owners out there ?

How is the flange mounted into the speaker cabinet?

I can Guarantee that you will not be able to separate the pieces if both are PVC and you used "PVC Cement".

This is because,(as you probably already know), PVC cement does not simply glue parts together by providing a bond between the parts but actually welds them together by melting the surfaces of the parts being joined and effectually makes them into a single part.

It may be possible to remove the flange and then saw off the piece(s) that you added and return the speakers back to approximately where they started from. I say approximately because the interior dimensions of the flange will have been reduced by the thickness of the PVC piping you welded into it. On the other hand if you welded the PVC extension onto the exterior of the flange you will have reduced the effective volume of the cabinet a tad.

In either event your speakers will not likely have suffered a catastrophic degradation in quality so long as you act to minimise the changes you have made.

FWIW - All of us make errors from time to time in the pursuit of audio perfection.

This message has been edited by lynnm on 08-07-2002 at 12:06 AM