Harsh, fuzzy sound from center speaker - Icon KC-25

violetgrey

I don't know if this is a defect or a byproduct of the aluminum tweeters but there seem to be some frequencies that cause a fuzzy sound out of he speaker. It's not all crystal clear. I understand that there were going to be quality compromises when I chose this set but is this one of them or is it something that came out bad off the line? This sound is not present at all frequencies being reproduced and is not present when the output signal has been silenced. I can somewhat hear the same kind of harshness from the KB-15 bookshelves but not quite as intensely as with the center. Thoughts?

Think I figured this one out. I think the AccuEQ software from my Onkyo NR-636 overcompensated the upper mids for my center speaker and pushed it until it began to distort. I turned off the processing and the harshness of the sound has vanished. The center now blends with the fronts as well instead of being super present as it had been; blending in with the front sound stage and giving me the sound of the speakers that I bought.

But sucks still cause while you get the sound of what you bought you aren't getting the room eq you payed for

True, but from what I've read the Onkyo AccuEQ isn't very good at room corrective eq anyway. The processing bypasses the fronts and the sub as it is and attempts to, "timbre match" the remaining speakers. Since I bought a matched set of speakers this should not be necessary. It was also breaking the matching of the front sound field, something I refused to admit until I turned it off. I would rather go without this processing than to have it make the sound harsh and unreasonable. It was unnaturally present; something else I wouldn't admit until it was off. Now the sound isn't in my face and boring into my ears.

you should be careful not to do this often as you may damage a diaphragm - once these get too much power and distortion - they pop -

I am glad I caught it when I did. I actually ordered a replacement speaker before I localized the issue and corrected. One more day of that harsh and grating sonic albatross and I was going to go Norman Bates on something.