sb1's with sub or sp1's no sub

newguy

recently ordered a kenwood krfx90-50d(only one in my price range with an rf remote) and am trying to decide weather to purchase synergy6 or pay the extra $400 for sp1 powered towers w/ss1/surrounds and sc1/ctr i

am only dealing with a '12x'21 listening area. will the sp1's provide the desired low end for ht or will i have to add a sub?is this system really worth the extra$ over the synergy6 for primarily ht application? it has been suggested that i would be much happier with the sp1's and upgraded surrounds and center over the synergy. if anyone has "been there/done-that" or anyone has any helpful suggestions/input, i would greatly appreciate them

The general consensous that I seem to be getting is that a seperate good sub is better than powered towers. Now the sub that comes with the Synergy 6 is a decent sub (KSW-10) and to be honost, spend that extra $400 or so and get a better sub.

That being said, I am curious as to what others have to say about the matter myself Smile.gif.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

I have not had any Synergy speakers, so I am going from what I have heard. Like he said, general concensus is that powered towers are not as good as a separate sub. Another thing about the KSW series subs, they tend to be a bit boomy, from what I understand. If you have an extra $400 for a sub, get a small SVS. You will never regret that. Also, why the System 6? You can build your own with floorstanding mains for almost the same price, probably a bit over it, but not much.

Example:

Mains: SF-1 $500

Center: SC-1 $280

Surrounds: SS-.5 $279

for a total of: $1059.

Wow, more expensive than I thought, but still not a bad price. Of course, some changes can apply. Those who own Synergy series can give better examples than me.

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>

I've had the SP-1's for over a year now...

I didn't use them with an extra sub for quite awhile and found them to ok...

I used them for about 50% music, 50% movies. Always in a smallish space (Apartments)

Most people who watched movies with me thought the bass was fine, not incredible, but not really lacking.

I think it all depends on where you are going with your system, I wish now I had not gotten the SP-1's and had gone right for a reference or heritage system (mostly because I just got some Heresys which sound great!

If I had to do it all over again, I would pick up some bookshelfs and a SVS sub to hold me over while I waited for some low price heritage to show up.

-mkl