Blown Fuses on KSW-10!!

Lance_W

Ok, So get this... I got my Quintet Microsystem with KSW10 sub on Friday... and when I pulled it out of the box I knew I was in for a surprise... but I thought it would just be amazing audio and detailed clarity... what I had awaiting was blown fuses. I've gone through 5 fuses now! And it's only been 2 days... I don't know what to do. I first replaced the fuse with the same one from another KSW10... then I tried a larger fuse, 750ma instead of 630... blown... then another, and another... I have 1 fuse out of 4 left... and I'm very very frustrated. I don't know what to do to fix this and I don't even know what's wrong, I ahven't had the volume or bass up over 4 and +4 on my Sony DB-940 yet it still blows out... help me out please!

Lance, you must be bumming. Sorry for the trouble. You are hereby authorized to use a 1 amp fuse - Nothing Larger. If that blows, contact Trey at 800-klipsch.

If you need to call, please be able to tell us if the fuse blows instantly on power up or if you can play for some period of time before it goes.

Bob

So would it be better to go with the 1 amp fuse as opposed to the 750ma fuses I've been replacing it with? Just to let you know, I ended up blowing my last 750ma fuse earlier today, playing the movie Rush Hour at volume 4 on my Sony DB-940... The bass was at 5 on the sub and 8 on the receiver... I don't know why this is still happening... but I hope it can be resolved without having to go through warrranty means or a service store, since the store I bought it from out here (United Audio) is not listed under the qualified dealers page...

Do the fuses blow instantly or can you play for a while? Sounds to me as if you are overdriving the sub and the fuse is doing just what it should - protect the amp.

I do not know the Sony you have, but if the volume scale goes to "10", then 4 is a pretty great % of the total available power. If the volume knob were a clock, then 1:00 is the Maximum Clean Output of your receiver. Going past that point is near certain death to speakers as the amp is in heavy distortion. Now 4 is probably below that point, but when you have the bass turned to +8, you may well be sending too much signal to the sub. For every +3 dB, you are asking for twice the power, so +8 is almost 8 times the power you would have at no bass boost (+0). The sub can only make a certain amount of bass and when you ask for too much, the fuse should blow.

The fuse blows after a few minutes of playback... the volume doesn't matter... I've experimented with a few different setups... having the bass set at 0, turning the volume to 3 (the DB940's volume goes up to 10, by the way, it's a mid-level ES reciever) and playing a movie soundtrack will ultimately end up the fuse blowing... having the bass set at +8 and the sub volume at 5 playing rap music with the volume on the receiver set at 5 will result in the same effect, but it seems to play the bass a lot harder, a lot longer. I'm going to pick up some 1 amp fuses today after I get home from work and see if that doesn't help (I need to since I'm out of 750ma). If it keeps happening I'll probably call the helpline, and see if maybe they can figure it out...

Lance,

United Audio is an Authorized Dealer for Klipsch and should be able to take care of you. FYI, our normal practice on amps with problems is to issue an exchange of the complete amplifier in order to minimize the turnaround time to repair. Depending on which is more convenient for you, you may choose to either take the sub back to United or work with us directly. You will need to fax a copy of the purchase receipt to confirm warranty.

Oh great, I didn't know they were! I was afraid I was in trouble. I coulda saved like $250 and bought it off the internet, but I wanted to make sure I had that awesome 5 year warranty.

So should I just be able to take the sub back to UA and have them replace it? Or do they need to go through you guys first and cross ship one to them?

You should be able to have United do it all for you. I read on another post that you are already on that tack.

How 'bout my neat new avatar?

• 3 weeks later...

I cant believe it Lance. I just purchased the KSW10 a month ago and already blew 2 fuses.I havent gone bigger with the fuses yet.But by the sounds of things it isnt goin to help.Do we have a problem with the KSW10? Now im startin to worry.Any help other than just turning down volume will be appreciated.

In fact I DID have an Avatar by Toyota. Great car but too BORING. Solved the problem. Can't admit how.

Hey WE HAVE FOUND A BAD BATCH OF FUSES if you can believe that. I have never heard of this, ever. Learn something every other day.

While there may be some subs with amp problems, it appears that most all of this is from a el cheapo fuse which was supplied as part of the amp. Wow, what a pain. If you have this problem, go get a decent fuse and see if it cures the problem. See the 1 amp message above.See the 1 amp message above.

I must have gotten one of the affected subs because I went back to Tweeter and they gave me the fuse and fuse holder from their floor model KSW10 and i put that and I haven't had any problems yet... i haven't turned the bass up enough to really case it to catch, but still not problems... I'll let you guys know what happens.

We have had a mixup in fuses which will cause them to blow at moderate volume levels. Seems our supplier substituted "fast blow" fuses where there should be "slow blow" fuses. This makes a great deal of difference even with the same current ratings. As I recall, a fast blow fuse will pass twice its rated current for something like 3 seconds before blowing. A slow blow will pass twice its rated current for more than twice that time before blowing.

If your KSW-10 blows its fuse, you can use a 1 amp, slow blow fuse - nothing larger. Radio Shack part number 2701021l.

If your KSW-12 blows its fuse, use a 1.5 amp slow blow Radio Shack p/n 2701022. Nothing larger.

If you use fuses as above and still have problems, contact Klipsch at 800-klipsch for help. Sorry this has been such a pain.

We have had a mixup in fuses which will cause them to blow at moderate volume levels. Seems our supplier substituted "fast blow" fuses where there should be "slow blow" fuses. This makes a great deal of difference even with the same current ratings. As I recall, a fast blow fuse will pass twice its rated current for something like 3 seconds before blowing. A slow blow will pass twice its rated current for more than twice that time before blowing.

If your KSW-10 blows its fuse, you can use a 1 amp, slow blow fuse - nothing larger. Radio Shack part number 2701021l.

If your KSW-12 blows its fuse, use a 1.5 amp slow blow Radio Shack p/n 2701022. Nothing larger.

If you use fuses as above and still have problems, contact Klipsch at 800-klipsch for help. Sorry this has been such a pain.

• 8 months later...