Dynaco t-70 tube amp?

Guest Steven1963

Another current tube that sounds real sweet, is the Winged C EL34, made in St. Petersburg, Russia

The plant has been shut down for a year. Nice tubes, though, that's what I have for my ST-70.

I didn't realize that, they're still available at one of my vendors I believe. Gonna have to check now.

I am finally in my new house and I have the Klipschorns mated with the Dynaco.  Honestly, I am disappointed. But I think it has more to do with room acoustics than the speakers and the amp. The Khorns are about 16 feet apart in a room that runs at least 30 feet deep (great room/kitchen combo), with 9 ft ceilings. The real issue I think is that the speakers are sitting a bit recessed into alcoves, with a fireplace in the middle, and the ceiling lowers to 8 ft. This configuration is causing the bass to be too thick and in some instances booming with hanging notes in the lower octaves.

I thought the room as close to ideal as possible and while I did have concerns about the alcoves, I was unprepared for the amount of influence they are having on the sound. Some options are to pull them out of the alcoves to be flush as if the room was more square. But that presents the problem of one back edge of the speakers not being on a wall at all.  No harm in trying it. :D

Build a small half wall to make them a corner....

Another current tube that sounds real sweet, is the Winged C EL34, made in St. Petersburg, Russia
The plant has been shut down for a year. Nice tubes, though, that's what I have for my ST-70.

Actually the best EL34's to come out of that factory were in the late 80's and early 90's! I have a set plus one extra of original Svetlana from the early 90's that you would have to pry out of my cold dead hands! I think they easily give Mullard XF1 & 2's and Amperex Bugle boys a run for the money! Another real sweety is the EI fat bottle 6CA7 if you can find a good stable set... I have 8 of those stashed away also!!

Actually the best EL34's to come out of that factory were in the late 80's and early 90's! I have a set plus one extra of original Svetlana from the early 90's that you would have to pry out of my cold dead hands! I think they easily give Mullard XF1 & 2's and Amperex Bugle boys a run for the money! Another real sweety is the EI fat bottle 6CA7 if you can find a good stable set... I have 8 of those stashed away also!!

I have a matched quad and three matched pairs, early 2000's vintage, and use them in my Marshall guitar amps. I think they were Soviet clones of XF2's, if I recall correctly. Beautiful tubes in their own right. EI's were sweet sounding, 12ax7's included, but they all seemed to suffer in reliability. I used to buy ten at a time, 12ax7, just to get 2-5 that weren't micro phonic right out of the box, I gave up on the EL34's pretty quick though. Now I use my stray singles in my THD Univalve guitar amp, single ended class A, single power tube, when I can't match a pair close enough.