Problems with new home theatre system. Amplifier to weak?

jocker96

Have you heard your new speakers anywhere besides your house and liked them? I am thinking that they are not setup properly and or that you need to treat your room.  Room treatment ca make a huge dif in the way speakers sound. When I was treating our room, I found that every change we did to the room made a big dif in the way the speakers sounded.

Edited by ellisr63

Not sure why you would set mains to large if power is a concern?

Lacking bass, not power. Actually "dynamic bass" as he puts it.  If he were hurting for power, it wouldn't lack bass so much as have distortion in the bass. Too much of the bass is being redirected to a single sub in the entire HT. If he had multiple subs as in your case, this would not be as noticeable. 

From the original post it seems his trouble is he needs to either stop high pass filtering so much or he needs to EQ as Bryant mentioned. 

I think you got this right my friend. This is the very thing that is happening to me.

Also I noticed that I get lots of bass in the lowest frequencies ( whole living room is shaking ) but not so much in bit higher frequencies…

Let me try to explain this better… it´s like 34Hz- lots of bass and then let’s say 100Hz -lacing bass.

I might add that now, when I began experimenting with manual EQ, I find my system sounds much better.

Overall I think it is better with each day passing. Might be break-in period thing or just me adapting to sound of my new speakers like others suggested.

he needs to either stop high pass filtering so much

Can you please explain what this means?

By the way, thanks for clarifying that with subwooer knobs :)

Edited by jocker96

There may be settings in the avr controling dynamic range, check for it.  Also, turn the gain up on the sub a bit if you want more bass.  A lot of the sparkly Hi's, detail and clarity come from speaker placement as pointed out.  Give your system a chance and do some manipulations of the avr and speakers.

Thanks for your suggestion. There is a setting on my AVR for dynamic range and it is set to maximum. Could you be so kind and to explain to me what it does? 

Not sure why you would set mains to large if power is a concern?

Lacking bass, not power. Actually "dynamic bass" as he puts it.  If he were hurting for power, it wouldn't lack bass so much as have distortion in the bass. Too much of the bass is being redirected to a single sub in the entire HT. If he had multiple subs as in your case, this would not be as noticeable. 

From the original post it seems his trouble is he needs to either stop high pass filtering so much or he needs to EQ as Bryant mentioned. 

I think you got this right my friend. This is the very thing that is happening to me.

Also I noticed that I get lots of bass in the lowest frequencies ( whole living room is shaking ) but not so much in bit higher frequencies…

Let me try to explain this better… it´s like 34Hz- lots of bass and then let’s say 100Hz -lacing bass.

I might add that now, when I began experimenting with manual EQ, I find my system sounds much better.

Overall I think it is better with each day passing. Might be break-in period thing or just me adapting to sound of my new speakers like others suggested.

he needs to either stop high pass filtering so much

Can you please explain what this means?

By the way, thanks for clarifying that with subwooer knobs :)

Setting your speaker as small and setting the frequency at 80 Hz is a high pass filter that more likely started at 85-90Hz, which means everything below 85-90 Hz was being diminished as you go lower and lower in frequency. In short, you were telling your  receiver to NOT send much stuff below about 85-90 Hz to the main speakers. 

Here is what a typical high pass filter at 80Hz looks like:

75_Hz_HPF_on_Smaart.jpg

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

I don't know your particular model but, some avr's like mines allow DRC to be on or off.  I use it in the off position so the DR is wide open.  If felt some of the HT effects were diminished with it on.  As far as the gain knob on the avr, I meant you can turn it up a bit and leave it there.  Scrappy is correct that on the fly adjustments should be thru the avr.  The only thing about the gain control is that it is universal and ups or downs all frequencies.

• Like 1