Newbie asking newbish question

Luchman

Ok, im planning on buying a klipsch speaker system and am on a very small budget and i have some questions to ask. Now mind you, i don't know a whole lot about speakers and such so if this sounds stupid, well... Here it goes. Im planning on buying a Denon 1602 receiver and wanted to know if for surround and center speakers if the Klipsch SC.5 and the SS.5 will be alright for watching movies with my receiver. Cause it says they hold 50 watts max continuously (SP?) and im afraid i might blow them out since the receiver puts out 70 watts.

Thanks

Hi Luchman - The Synergy can give you great sound, for the price, especially compared to other brands at that price.

The suggested matching center for the SF-1s is the SC-1, not the SC-.5. It's important to have a matching center so that your front soundstage is as seamless as possible, and also so that your main speakers don't overwhelm your center. It is often said that 80% of a movie's soundtrack comes out the center channel.

Likewise, the suggested surrounds are the SS-1. However, it is not as critical in the rear as it is up front that you have the matching speakers. However, overall balance will be better if they are.

Trader is correct in pointing out that most of the time you will be driving your speakers with only a few watts. The SF-1 are rated at 94db with 1 watt measured at 1 meter. You will have to leave the house before you start hitting the upper end of your receiver's continuous output.

It is usually not enough power, rather than too much, that causes speakers to fry because the amp goes into clipping trying to drive music without enough power. I regularly drive my 100-watt continuous Chorus speakers with a 200 watt amp and have yet for them to even break a sweat, all the way to about 110 db.

Get the right setup and enjoy!

Doug

------------------

My System

Doug is absolutely right.

The bare bones of it is,

As long as you don't play them so loud that the sounded becomes distorted or grainy you'll be fine with any amp, big or small.

Bigger is always better when you talk about amps and available wattage.

IMO you can never have a big enough amp.

A 70 watt amp to a 50 watt speaker is just fine

Good luck on your purchase.

May the audio bug bite you gently.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

Go for the SC1 instead of the .5, it's worth the extra money. Try asking your seller to come down a little on the price of the SC1 since you're buying a full set of speakers at once. Maybe you can get the SC1 closer to the $180 mark? It's currently selling for that amount from various unauthorized etailers.

It looks like you'll be paying 900 for all your speakers. I would look into buying 2 pair of used Heresys: total price 650.00 if u are patient and buy a pair with fair cabinets. I've paid as low as 300.00 a pair and another 50.00 for shipping.

Then you can use the rest of the money to buy a used center. Maybe a C-5 or something like that. Check UBID for Klipsch deals but be careful because they are usually only selling one speaker for the price listed and be sure of the shipping charges.