27" flat screen or 32" curved screen  

jwadd21

I am all for flat screens. It seems as though the picture quality is always better. I have a 32" Toshiba that I thought was wonderful until I saw my friend's Sony something or other inch flat screen. It looked a lot better. Now if he would just get a decent DVD player... lol

Of course, I need one too. I need everything so I can start out right. Smile.gif

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>

My budget was set at $800 for a 27" flat screen. Why not look for some floor demo's flat screen TV's. I purchased a 36" Sony Wega KV-36FV27 - the older model - for $1030 (230 more than budget) as a floor demo. The key here is to inquire when was the unit placed on the floor, and check the manufacture date on the back. I am usually hesitant to get a floor demo, especially a TV, since they play them on high brightness setting - the one I got was made in March 2002, which amounts to only 5 months on the floor, and even if it worked 24/7 this is still a very short time. I also purchased a 5 year in-home service plan for it to be save. I think about it this way - I went out of my budget, and that is not a very good thing, but I also think I will not be watching my money, but the TV. Think about what will you have peace of mind with - staying in your budget and getting a smaller TV, or going a little bit over it and enjoying a bigger picture? I personally chose the bigger picture. I also recommend the Sony Wega, because they have 16:9 enhanced mode, also caled V-compression. It is great for widescreen movies - the image is initially stretched on the whole screen, using 520 lines, then the unit "squeezes" the picture to normal proportions. This way widescreen movies utilize the whole 520 lines resolution. I hear other brands nowadays also have this feature.

Good luck with your purchase,

Vladi

------------------

Front: RF-3 II

Center: RC-3 II

Surround: 2 Quintets

Subwoofer: KSW-12

Receiver: Sony STR-DA5ES

TV: Sony Wega KV-36FV27

Thats a tough call. I'd probably go with the bigger screen for now. To me, a digital TV would be the most important factor

A 27' is not really that great for HT. I had one in my living room and I could barely see it from across the room. It was one of the first items my wife and I replaced (it looked lost)

If you were getting a digital 27' TV, maybe. But thats not happening for $500. So why pay extra money for a flat analog TV? Your still not getting a digital picture and most of todays non-flat screens are still pretty flat.

My local Cicuit City (if you have one in your area)has a JVC TV for $549 that has what you want.

Model: AV32D303

My father has a 27' Sony WEGA in his living room and I have a 36' digital in mine and the size kills me more when watching movies at his house than the slightly inferior picture quality.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Toshiba 3109 and Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

Get the bigger one.

A lower quality 32" will be more pleasing than a hi quality 27"

Someday, get a nice front or rear projector!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org