OMG!! possibly the MOST incredible picture i've ever seen..

avman

..was last sunday when i 'field tested' (took one home from the store)an integra dlp projector DLV-100 WITH a faroudja video processor. after hooking up s-video to the projector directly, and seeing typical artifacts,etc. that don't look very nice, i then hooked the s-video into the faroudja, then 15 pin(d 15 f)into the projector, and WOW!!!!!!!!

a few details:

i couldn't display hd(1080i)from my satellite receiver because a component-to-female db 15 cable is required,BUT i did watch 'driven' on a hd channel,using standard 480i output. the colors were perfect, the detail was AMAZING!! you could tell their shoes were suede leather because you could see the texture of the suede. the cars and uniforms are a color feast anyway, but this was incredible!

i also put in the superbit version of 5th element...and watched the whole movie-instead of a couple of scenes. i was glued to the screen! i used my existing matte white low gain 84" sharp screen, and this projector is SO SMALL i was able to set it on the front top part of my existing sharp projector.

i've seen alot of high quality displays, and this is one of the best ever. will follow-up.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 08-10-2002 at 11:32 AM

..i feel like phil collins...no reply at all..

anyway, got hd satellite hooked up, waiting for the opportunity to look at Eyes.gif some hd programming for more than a couple of seconds at a time(at work..must appear busy..)

ok: i didn't find hd satellite to look any better than standard digital satellite, or dvd, thru the video processor, HOWEVER-hd satellite channels-vs.-standard sat.ch's DO look better when output to the processor in standard(480i) mode. explanation:hd satellite output IN HD passes thru the processor unchanged(1080i)

ANYTHING else input to the processor COMES OUT AS 768P !! 720p is high definition, so this processor makes all but the worst video signals look GREAT!!

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony playstation 2

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 08-14-2002 at 12:42 PM

I'll bite cwm1.gif

I have nothing to compair it to, but I was very impressed with the InFocus 110. I am displaying it onto a 4X8 sheet of parkland plastic (yes, I know, but I don't have $3000.00+ for a nice one. This only cost $20.00 and it looks great) Even though that plastic is NOT a real screen, the colors are very nice.

I am still waiting for my catalog from Stewart so I can get some other pricing on screens. But if everything I want size wise, is around $3000.00 then forget it. I will stick to a platic screen. I just can't see paying that much for a good screen.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 08-12-2002 at 02:27 PM

Hey,

I'm chuckling about the plastic.

BTW, what is parkland plastic?

When I was in college I used to check out the InFocus LP720, if I remember right, to take home to watch movies almost every weekend. I used a white dorm bedsheet pulled tight with string for my screen. Not very bright but it was a 7.5 ft diagonal in like 9-10 ft away. Man my dreams are to forget the small 50 something inch TV or whatever and get right into projectors for the 150 inch viewing umm extravaganza!

Doug

Mmmmm, expensive video playback unit, droooolll...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

AvMan---

I see you have a Sony KV36XBR450.

I have searched for that TV, but now find that Sony has a new XBR #, KV36XBR800.

I am looking at that TV, along with a Toshiba 34" HD ready TV.

Which would you go with, and may I have the reasons why?

Is the Sony's picture overall better than the Toshiba?

Also, did the recent government ruling about the inclusion of HD tuners in 36" and larger TVs, in the not too distant future, mean I should wait to get one of those TVS, rather than adding a HDTV tuner box?

Thanks in advance...

------------------

My Home theatre setup:

*** 5 Cornwall 1s (1984-85 vintage)

*** Technics SA 10 receiver

*** Technics DVD-Audio/CD/DVD Model DVD-A10 player

*** greatly modified (by Musical Concepts) Hafler DH-200 amp

*** modified TP-450 Adcom preamp/tuner

*** greatly modified Dynaco PAT4

*** Sony WEGA 32"

*** Sony VHS Super HI-FI VCR

*** Phillips HI FI VCR recorder

Misc. equipment

*** RCA early DVD player

*** Yamaha high-end '70s vintage tuner

*** Kenwood KD500 concrete-resin base, direct-drive TT with English Mayware low-mass arm

*** Sumiko Bluepoint cartridge

*** very early (circa 1975) Polk Audio Monitor 10s (hand built by the man himself)

*** 2 early Polk Audio LF12 subwoofers

*** prototype KLH TUBE AMP (circa 1967)

the kv36xbr800 has the same look as the kv40xbr700, and has memory stick compatability via slot in tv, along w/additional picture 'enhancements'. after what i've seen this video processor/dlp projector do, this will be my last tube tv(for my theater room).

i prefer to save the up-front $'s by NOT getting a built-in digital tuner, and having the choice of how and from whom i get my hd signals(in my case dishnetwork's model 6000)

also, i prefer 4:3 to 16:9 because i don't mind horizontal banding w/widescreen material(which you can STILL get w/16:9 tv's)BUT i DO mind what 16:9 tv's do to 4:3 pictures, and w/hd channels and widescreen dvds at home,STILL over half of the shows on my tv are 4:3.

toshiba makes a good tv, if you want 34" widescreen, check out the sony kv34xbr800, i sell them for about $2400 as a point of reference.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony playstation 2

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Parkland Plastic is a manufacturer of vinyl-like plastics typically, but not limited to, use in RV's and the like to 'skin' wooded or I would guess even interior drywall for the purpose of sealing against water. Like when you're going to make a closet in your olden day RV into a shower stall, you'd get a sheet of PP and some adhesive and seal the walls, ceiling and floor.

Anyway, somebody somewhere tossed a picture at it and it looked good. So good in fact that now there have been several 'tests' run and published (accessible on the AVS Forum site) that state that Parkland Plastic has the same or better qualities for DLP/LCD projected images as a several thousand dollar Dalite. Evidently, reflective quality of 1.5 is most desired and the Parkland product nails it.

Moon....how do you have your Parkland put up? I have currently just a 5'x10' framework made of 2"x2"s with canvas stretched over it like a picture, painted 'absolute white'. I have received my 5'x10' roll of Parkland but have not put it up yet. As it is thick but pliable, I was thinking of removing the canvas from my existing framework then 'skinning' the frame with a special order 5'x10' sheet of 1/4" plywood. Then, adhering the parkland to it ensuring flatness and hoping for no bubbles. Sound doable?

------------------

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

next up on the list of omg incredible picture quality is sony's new vpl-vw12ht lcd projector. i was skeptical about a lcd projector's capability to display a clear detailed picture because of pixel size, but the pixels on this sony appear as small as the dlp projector i raved about earlier. this unit also allows component video hookup, and i'm running it without an outboard processor. its internal processor upconverts incoming ntsc signals, and displays hd(i'm using 1080i)beautifully!!

looks Eyes.gif like a projector on the ht wishlist to replace my existing sharp lcd unit.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony playstation 2