receiver/speaker matching

MattD

I'm soon to be in the market for a receiver and 5.1 speaker setup. I am considering a Klipsch RF-3 II setup (RF-3 II, RS-3 II, RC-3 II, KSW-12). I am also considering the Denon AVR-2802 as the receiver.

I'd like to stay around this price point, so anything of similar dollar value or less will be considered as an alternative.

For the speakers, I want it to be a 5.1 system that handles BOTH music and movies equally well. The music will be up to 24/96 resolution or DVD-A/SACD. I mean to use it for critical listening and regular music enjoyment.

The receiver must have at least one coaxial and one optical digital input. Most I've seen have only one coax ... 2 would be ideal, but I can convert one of my coax outs to optical if need be. Dolby Digital and DTS are a must. DPLII is a big plus (for 5-channel stereo music).

I'd be interested in hearing any and all suggestions. By scouring ebay and online resellers I think I can get all of the above for around $2200. Please keep it in the 2200-2500 price range.

If you have any questions about my indended use, please ask.

Thanks for all your help,

-Matt

I currently have the KSW-12, and TPG is right - imo it's a bit boomy. I thought it was OK, then I was watching this movie and pumpkins' 1979 came on as part of the sound track. I couldn't get outta my chair to lower the output on the sub fast enough! I don't think I could have moved as fast if someone had yelled FIRE! VOLCANO! TSUNAMI! whatever. I'm sure that part of the problem was due to my screwed up room's acoustics.

Nevertheless, I have an SVS sub on order (never heard one - but I don't think that I have seen any bad reviews - this many forum members can't be wrong). From what I've seen on the boards the RSW series doesn't have this problem and is a good choice also. I'd take a little more time on the sub issue.

Other than that I think you'll be really pleased with your setup. Stock up on snacks, you won?t wanna leave the house.

Okay then, which SVS sub should I go for? I assume I'd need one with a built-in amplifier because the subwoofer output on the Denon AVR-2802 is from the "pre out" section.

The room these are going in is almost perfectly rectangular and not bigger than 10'x15'.

Please keep my price point in mind (how much I'll save by not getting the KSW and how much the SVS will cost me).

Thanks,

Matt

Matt - Probably the best SVS for you would be the 25-31 or the 20-39. The powered ones (PCi designation) are probably the best bang for your buck, given your budget. However, if you have an old amplifier or receiver lying around that can put out about 100 watts, you could use it to drive one of the CS models, which are unpowered, and that would be even less money.

There is a "summer sale" going on at their website which ends, I believe, 8/21.

Doug

------------------

My System

I guess I'm just praying for summer to end by 8/21 -- enough with the 112 degree days already!!!

Also, don't know where you are and what affects shipping has on the final price, but here's a nice little SVS setup for sale:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?homesubw&1034266224

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 08-12-2002 at 01:59 PM

Matt,

I have the same setup you're thinking about buying, with a SVS 25-31Pci. I think these are currently going for 450-500, so you can't really go wrong. These subs sound great for Music and Movies, and you'll have to spend a lot more to get something of this calibur from another company. IMHO, the KSW series of subs sound like total *** for the money, and an SVS will totally blow you away for the money. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your system. You won't regret coupling the RF-3 series with the 2802...unbelievable!!!

Dave Blue

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee