Cornwall II Advice Needed

hornhead

Hi,

I have a pair of Cornwall II speakers. They sound little harsh and breakup at higher listeing levels. Not ear bleed levels but fairly loud. Overall I like them but now that I have Klipschorns they have to be tamed. I have klipschorns too and the sound of the klipschorn is nicer and fuller with no breakup. Youcould even say the tweeter is a bit dull on the Klipschorn compared to the Cornwall. This is mostly a good thing.

Anyway, my klipschorns have the K-55-V mids and K-77 tweeter. These drivers all have a 2" diaphram.

My 86 Cornwalls have a K-57-K midrange driver and a K-79-K tweeter. All these drivers have a 1.5" diaphragm. I have the same amp driving both speakers (two amps both the same).

I want to make a fix but I'm not sure if my problem is with the Cornwall crossovers, the smaller diaphragms or newer drivers.

I have a friend who wants to sell me his older vintage Cornwalls for 450.00. The cabinets are beat up but the drivers are the older variety which are the same as my Klipschorns (V series). I could swap out the drivers from the older Cornwall and put them in to my Cornwalls II with the nicer cabinets. For crossovers I could use Klipshorn crossovers (I have two extra Type A's) or the older Cornwall crossovers. Any advice is appreciated. I could then sell the older Cornalls "as is" to recoup this upgrade.

This message has been edited by hornhead on 08-12-2002 at 12:28 AM

hornhead,

The older K55 with K-600 horn and K-77's(and K-33 woof) are rear mounted in the 'original' Cornwall. The cabinet backs are removable to achieve this. The Cornwall II has a solid back. You would have to do some woodwork in order to fit the old drivers on the front of the soundboard. Bad idea.. if you want to keep the Cornwall II's in stock condition for sometime in the future.

Regading your concern about breakup and harshness, I don't know what earbleed levels are for you, or what type of signal is being fed, so I'll leave that one to someone else.

Stig

hornhead,

if you're asking if the older drivers will drop right in and screw into place ....the answer is no.

If you have woodworking skills, you might buy the old Cornwalls and restore them, if the cabinets are not too far gone.

There are a lot of folks on this board who give solid advice on refinishing cabinets.

Stig