DD better than DTS on music?

bryan2

Few months ago my wife bought a Barry Manilow concert DVD. The DVD has Dolby Digital and DTS tracks. I always use DTS over DD (of course if DTS is an option)when playing DVDs. However, when I tried both (on Barry M DVD), I've noticed that the bass on the Dolby Digital tracks has more punch (so much more actually) compared to DTS. With DD I can really hear my RSW-15 pounding with loud and very tight bass. When in DTS, increasing the subwoofer volume level couldn'nt even match the extra "punch" I got from the DD tracks. I tried on other DVDs and did not notice any difference.

This message has been edited by bryan2 on 08-12-2002 at 01:57 PM

Hmm... strange. On my speakers (PM5.1's-- I know... Smile.gif ) DTS has much better bass and explosions are wonderful. Now, I do experience about a 10 dB increase when using DD over DTS, but it is also a 10 dB increase of fuzz. Most people with real HT's using optical/digital conenctions don't deal with this though. Just that darn analog... cwm10.gif

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>

I would imagine that this is due to the manner in which the DTS track was mixed. Remember, the quality of the mix is not directly related to the format. Although DTS mixes generally sound better and have better bass due to different compression techniques, it all depends on the consistency of the two mixes. Perhaps the engineer over-compensated on the Dolby mix, knowing that DTS has richer bass. Whatever the case is, there's no denying whichever one sounds better to the ear. Stick to the Dolby mix if it sounds better. cwm30.gif

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee