My Klipsch RP-5's in Germany?

thdrought

I have a pair of RP-5's, an RC-3 and RS-3's. I love them. For the price, it's the best sound out there and I don't want to part with them.

My dilemna is that I am relocating from the US to Germany. I was measuring and weighing them for possible shippers when I noticed their only good for 120 volts. Most of my other equipment can switch between US and Euro voltages, except my RP-5's. Why's that? Is it the Amp? What can I do about it? I don't want to part with them, but, since I have only a little money, things aren't looking good. Any suggestions?

If I have to part with them, what is a good selling price for them. I was thinking a grand for the set. Retail, that's over half off. The speaker are just a little over a year old, but, look like there brand new.

Thanks,

Tom Drought

San Diego, CA

A step down transformer can take care of the voltage difference. Howerver, most foreign countries use 50 Hz power instead of the 60 Hz power we use in the U.S.A. A step down transformer will not solve your problem if the powersupply of the subwoofer amp was not designed for 50 Hz operation as well as 60 Hz. The owner's manual shows the U.S.A. version is speced for 110/120 V 60 Hz. So you may be SOL. The manual does shows an export model. So you might be able to swap power suppies. You might want to contact Klipsch tech support to find out if this is possible and how much it might cost. It might be cheaper than selling the speakers here and replacing them in Germany. Speakers seem to be considerably more expensive in Europe. And Klipsch speakers seem to be relatively hard to come by.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no need to sell your speakers. I was stationed in Germany back in the early nineties. There are voltage regulators (can't remember if that is the correct name for the device) that will convert the voltage to US specs. It's about the size of a shoe box, but vary in size based on number of outputs. You may want to stop by a local US military installation (PX - Post Exchange) or military thrift store for a used one. Considering that there have literally been hundreds of thousands of service members and their families stationed in Germany for the last fifty years you should be able to come across one pretty cheap.

Viel Spass

------------------

Ranger

"honesta mors turpi vita potior"

Mitsubishi WS65819

Denon AVR 4802

Denon DVD-1600

Denon DCM-370

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Klipsch RF3II (Mains)

Klipsch RC3II (Center)

Klipsch RS3II (Surround)

SVS 20-39 PCi (Sub)

ProntoPro TSU6000

Guys, I ran a whole house of US electronics (computers, TV's, stereo, etc.) with a simple (and cheap) transformer, and there was NO PROBLEM AT ALL. This was in England, and they use 50 Hz.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org