Need Surrounds and Center with Cornwall Fronts.

bwcgrx

I've decided to purchase some quality surrounds and a center channel speaker for my HT. My front speakers are a pair of vintage Cornwalls. I've heard that Heresys make good rear surrounds with the Cornwalls, but their size makes them much less optimal in my small living room (Corns already take up a bunch). So I've been considering a pair of RS-3 IIs or RS-7s. I'm wondering if the RS-3s would be a good match. The price is right and I could then invest in an RC-3 II for the center. I'm afraid the RS series is really better matched to my Cornwalls in terms of sensitivity. I'm just not quite prepared to spend that much right now. Any advice on decent matches would be appreciated.

You may want to get a pair of RF-7's from your local Klipsch dealer for a demostration. Timbre and tone matching is not quite as critical for surround speakers, so they my work out ok. Just make sure you can return them if you are not pleased with their sound. I have not used the smaller KG Bookshelfs, but they may work as surrounds too. To my knowledge the KG Bookshelf, are not available through dealers. So I would move cautiously and look locally if considering them as surrounds.

Perhaps others will jump in with some viable options too.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-14-2002 at 01:40 PM

For your center channel (which is critical to anchoring the sound with the screen images; also, the center channel speaker carries a very high amount of specific information from the original masters) I would highly recommend that you buy a single Cornwall.

If you study the basis of home theatre, you will see that the engineers had a timbre match in mind when planning the center channel speaker, and recordings are designed to take advantage of the center channel-to-screen synchronization/"anchoring", for the proper playback.

I would worry less about esthetics (sp?), and more about the importance of a well-matched, high performing center channel speaker, closely matched to your two front-channel speakers.

See my signature...

------------------

My Home theatre setup:

*** 5 Cornwall 1s (1984-85 vintage)

*** Technics SA 10 receiver

*** Technics DVD-Audio/CD/DVD Model DVD-A10 player

*** greatly modified (by Musical Concepts) Hafler DH-200 amp

*** modified TP-450 Adcom preamp/tuner

*** greatly modified Dynaco PAT4

*** Sony WEGA 32"

*** Sony VHS Super HI-FI VCR

*** Phillips HI FI VCR recorder

Misc. equipment

*** RCA early DVD player

*** Yamaha high-end '70s vintage tuner

*** Kenwood KD500 concrete-resin base, direct-drive TT with English Mayware low-mass arm

*** Sumiko Bluepoint cartridge

*** very early (circa 1975) Polk Audio Monitor 10s (hand built by the man himself)

*** 2 early Polk Audio LF12 subwoofers

*** prototype KLH TUBE AMP (circa 1967)