Tube Help - Where Do I Start

easyeyes

At this moment I'm considering investing $800 - $1,000 into a preamp. Being overseas, it's difficult to look at anything besides solid state over the net; all of this talk about tube preamps for less with better sound has me thinking. Not knowing anything about tubes makes me apprehensive in sinking money into them.

As a tube novice, what can I start off with to get my feet wet that sounds good and will not break the bank at the same time? What can I get for $300 or less. At this price I'm quite sure that the unit will not be brand new. I'm using a Denon CD player, a Yamaha MX-800 SS power amp and KLF 30s. I welcome your opinion.

Thanks

EE

easyeyes,

Look at the thread I started some days ago; I asked very near the same question you are.

------------------

Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.0

Phono Preamp - Parasound PPH-100

Receiver - H/K AVR-210

DVD - Sony DVP-S360

TV - RCA 31"

Mains - KLF-20

Center - KLF-C7

Surrounds - Optimus Pro LX-10

Sub - Yamaha YST-SW160

Reinforcement - JBL 4638

If you are interested in buying a tube amp, but are over seas, I would recomend either building one and ordering all of the parts except the power transformer and output transformer from where ever, because shipping won't add up to too much (tubes weigh like 2 ounces). The two things that will set you back are the chassis, and transformers, heavey! I have built my own tube amps before, and I'm really satisfied with them. I'm currently working on some mono blocks that will be 100 watts each when they're done. they cost a bout 700 dollars to make each, but the nice thing about tube amps is, you can string multiple speakers of the same terminal where as with a transistor amp, you would burn it out in a flash. So, feel free to contact me via email, this post, or AIM instant messanger.

------------------

-Trevor

Prodj101,

Thanks, the bottlehead is a great site, lots of info on how to start. Where can I purchase separate parts and the chasis/transformer being in England? I am not very mechanically inclined, can change a fan belt and basic work on a car but not credentials. How much soldering is involved, I do not have any equipment. What's the total cost of a nice-sounding beginners unit?

Since you are in the UK, you might want to check out World Tube Audio Design at:

http://www.worldaudiodesign.co.uk/

The benefits of buying a kit is that clear instructions are provided along with everything needed to complete the project. It also more or less guarantees that whatever you build will work and be of some standard Smile.gif

------------------

Solstice