McIntosh MC-2105 Gain Settings

tidmack

Hey fellas,

I picked up a mc-2105 a few weeks ago to use with my Cornwalls and I've been extremely pleased with its performance. One thing though. . .where should my gains be set at? The owner's manual talks about using a test tone and setting the meters accordingly. Is there an easier way? Is there a general rule with Mac amps? I've kept both gains at halfway since bringing it home, since I figured I'd be safe there.

One last question since this is my first time with separates. . .which piece of equipment should I turn off first: amp or preamp?

Thanks as always guys!

Jeff

Look in the pre amps manual and it will tell you what it's output sensitivity is. I believe it will be around 1.0V. My McIntosh amps input sensitivity is adjustable from around .08V to 2.0V, I thing. But, you can set it about anywhere you desire. I think the louder that you set it the less noise your likely to pick up from your pre amp.

Turn on the amp last.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

hey, about your question of which to turn off first. In any system, the receiver, or amp, whichever it is, should always go on last, and go off first. This is to avoid transients which over time can cause damage and decrease performance.

------------------

-Trevor

As I recall, the rule of thumb for setting levels was to turn the volume control on the preamp to two o'clock (JBL suggested 3) and then bring the gain on the power amp up until it's as loud as you'll ever want to listen.

The Dynaco preamps in my experience had a very strange "taper," with a long slow gain in volume, then a somewhat sudden jump i.e. not much change from, say 5 o'clock to noon, and then about tripling the perceived loudness from noon to two.

I'd go with your ears in setting balance more than the meters, which, unless you have them calibrated on a regular basis, are chiefly ornamental.

Q-man and Prodj101 are absolutely correct about the amp. Turn it on last and off first. This is especially important with some tube pre-amps and tuners, as they can produce loud low frequency thumps as they "get up to speed." Some early solid-state units had vicious turn-on pops too. I had a British unit (I forget the brand, but it was silver and had a bunch of sliders down at the right end) whose thump could invert woofer cones.

Enjoy your amp. It is a fine unit.

Capt'n Bob

Hey guys!

Sorry for the delay for a Thank you, I've been on vacation! Let me tell ya that the board members in the Vancouver area have some great food, scenery, and girls Smile.gif

Q, you mentioned sensitivity. . .how do I correspond the output sensitivity on my preamp (mx-113) to where I set my gains? Is this something I would need to use a meter for, or just use the meters off the amp somehow? Thanks again. I won't be back online again until monday so I may be a bit slow in responding. Appreciate all the help guys!!

Jeff Tiedke